Kwikset trick?

I've had a Kwikset lockset on my front door for quite some time. When I turn the knob clock-wise, the doo-hickey that engages the strike plate works as expected. When I turn it counter-cw, the doo-hickey binds up and the door won't latch.

I've disassembled, lubed, etc etc. No help. The web site sez maybe over-tightened screws. I loosen, no help. Etc.

Something w-r-o-n-g here, I can't figger what. Apologies for my lack of terminology.

Any ideas??

Thx, Will

Reply to
Wilfred Xavier Pickles

I've never failed to solve this type of issue with a boatload of WD-40. Spray a copious amount directly into the doo-hickey hole, (and the keyhole(s) if so equipped,) until it's running out all over the place. Operate knob 20 times. Repeat sequence twice.

Those who claim WD-40 "gums up" things don't use enough. They just get the dirt wet with it. You have to flush out the dirt.

Reply to
Smitty Two

The latch wears out before the lock, in many cases.

the part shown in above photo.

.

I've had a Kwikset lockset on my front door for quite some time. When I turn the knob clock-wise, the doo-hickey that engages the strike plate works as expected. When I turn it counter-cw, the doo-hickey binds up and the door won't latch.

I've disassembled, lubed, etc etc. No help. The web site sez maybe over-tightened screws. I loosen, no help. Etc.

Something w-r-o-n-g here, I can't figger what. Apologies for my lack of terminology.

Any ideas??

Thx, Will

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Done Dat.

Went back, shot keyhole with copious amounts.

Done Dat. No joy.

There's coal oil in it? If I need serious long-term lube, I use motor oil. Maybe even grease.

Kwikset CS was helpful, promised to send latch, cyl. tool.

Will

Reply to
Wilfred Xavier Pickles

I'm guessing you will find the latch to be the problem.

(Locksmith, with 20+ years of working on Kwikset.)

.

Kwikset CS was helpful, promised to send latch, cyl. tool.

Will

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Buy a top quality "commercial grade" lockset from a locksmith and you will not have these problems every so many years. (These are not sold in retail stores.)

These are the locksets you see on business, school, and government doors.

The last one I bought was around $180 and that was 15 years ago (still working like new!) That was with deadbolt too (Schlage Commercial Grade).

Like these...

Bill

ote:

I've used gasoline or naptha [lighter fluid] mixed with oil. The ?? cuts the old goo, mixture flushes it away, and upon evaporation the oil is left. and no more goo

When I told this to a mechanic he laughed and said just use transmission fluid followed by oil. TF has all those cleaners built in and there's a lot less hazard.

Reply to
Robert Macy

If that's true, that's good to know. I always end up with lots of these left over after switching locksets etc. So, if I end up with a problem like the one Wilfred described below I can always try switching out that one part.

Reply to
TomR

Remit $47.50 for consultation.

.