"Left hand down"

Why do people give the direction "left hand down"? It doesn't bloody matter if you're driving forwards or backwards, turning the wheel left still makes the car go left!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

replying to James Wilkinson Sword, Iggy wrote: Typically because, that's the hand they can see through the window, to stop the driver as soon as they error...except in those weirdo countries that drive and sit on the wrong side of a car.

Also, most people don't know their left from their right on-the-fly, so removing that obstacle makes things go much smoother. Foolproof to say up or down or give a thumbs-up or down in their mirror.

It's much like a Dump Truck, Concrete Truck, Claw/Picker Crane or Backhoe hand signal. An open-hand means let it go and a fist means grab-it or stop.

Reply to
Iggy

Never in my life have I heard anyone say "left hand down".

And if someone did say "left hand down" I would have no clue what they wanted me to do.

My question is where do you want my left hand to go down to?

Reply to
catalpa

It's a weird instruction given by people when reversing a car, to tell you which way to turn the steering wheel. It means exactly the same as "left". Apparently some folk think reversing makes your car go the opposite way to the wheel?!?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

replying to James Wilkinson Sword, Iggy wrote: Yep, many people just don't get it. But, as soon as you stop using mirrors and spin your noggin round is where people really lose it. However in that case, you just steer to the direction you want to go. Though, left (down) is now right and right (up) is left, driver side stays driver side and so does passenger side.

Reply to
Iggy

Yes, it would be helpful if he'd give us a clue what he's ranting about.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

It's in the text above: "driving forwards or backwards, turning the wheel left"

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I read that the first day you posted it and it makes no sense to me. It must be something peculiar to your country as at least two of us have no clue what you are talking about.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

For example, I'm reversing out of a local garage, and space is tight. A mechanic decides to give me directions. Instead of just telling me to turn left, he says "left hand down", because he thinks that when reversing somehow things are different? Turning the wheel left still makes the car go left!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword