Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Schlage is a waaaaayyyyyy better lock than Kwikset.

Reply to
DB

Then you just got lucky because they have to be flipped fairly often. The odds are about 50/50 on any given job.

Reply to
DB

a.. Left Hand (LH): If the hinges are on the left and the door opens in, it's a left hand door. You push the door with your left hand. a.. Right Hand (RH): If the hinges are on the right and the door opens in, it's a right hand door. You push the door with your right hand. a.. Left Hand Reverse (LHR): If the hinges are on the left and the door opens out, it's a left hand reverse door. You pull the door with your left hand. a.. Right Hand Reverse (RHR): If the hinges are on the right and the door opens out, it's a right hand reverse door. You pull the door with your right hand.

a.. Another way to determine door "handing" is to imagine yourself standing in the doorway with your back against the hinges. Swing your right or left arm in the way that the door swings. If you swing your left arm then the door is left handed. Swing your right arm and it is right handed. This method does not require a reference such as "from the outside" or "from the inside".

above from:

check out (Door Swings) about 2/3rd down the page...

g'day

Reply to
'Key

Good news.

It might have taken a hundred posts, but now I have my Kwikset "Tylo" lock cylinders properly set into the entry knobs on my RHR entrance doorway.

Rather than wait for the rather helpful Kwikset Consumer Support to send me the Kwikset cylinder removal tool which they said was in the mail, I went back to Home Depot armed with the helpful suggestions in this thread.

With the confidence gained by all of you posting the information in this thread, I asked for the locks to be reversed. The first floor person said there was no such thing. I didn't waver as I had a printout of your posts in hand. He brought them to the lock-department floor person who said the Kwikset entry knob cylinder reversal instructions were in the package. I gently said "I wish it were true". He analysed the instructions for about three or four minutes before conceding this was true.

Luckily I flagged down the key cutter who knew how to remove the Kwikset Tylo entry knob lock cylinder. She too never knew about the cylinder reversal needs but, after reading my printout of these posts, she at least popped the lock cylinder out in seconds for me. In addition, she handed me a spare Kwikset cylinder removal tool and said "keep it" as she had plenty in her key drawer.

I thank all of you for the expert advice. Without you, I would have gotten the wrong answer at Home Depot.

Even the, shall we say, less than expert advice was helpful in that it helped me gain the confidence that I wasn't the only one clueless about how to properly buy the right lock for my RHR entry doorway!

Thanks to you all this record will help everyone who comes after us with the same lock questions!

Reply to
MsMonarchdancer

It's becomign clear. You are a cheapskate and buying locks at Home Cheepo (And you bought the junky Tylos instead of the medium grade ones or the Titans.) Since it wasn't costing you anything but your time, you post a series of questions to Usenet. Asking for us, for free, to teach you something that locksmiths all across US do as part of their trade.

Then, back to Home Cheepo, and engage three of their people for a period of time. To get them to do what any good locksmith would have done simply, nearly effortlessly, and as part of his (her) job.

I'm starting to understand why some of the tradesmen on other lists say "call a locksmith (or tradesman as the case needs)" instead of doing internet teaching for free.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I guess you havn't used the new ones. The new ones with the one piece external handle are just total undiluted garbage.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Is he the guy who says to just remove the screws, and turn the knob right side up?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Why so cruel? What's wrong with learning? What's wrong with Home Depot? What's wrong with helping others on the usenet?

I saw scores of other people in Home Depot and here that knew as little as I about locks. Are we all "cheapskates" just for shopping at Home Depot and asking questions on the usenet?

I don't even KNOW where a good place to buy home hardware is other than Home Depot or OSH or Sears. A door lock seems like a common enough household item that Home Depot or OSH should stock the ones that you suggest. Plus, based on this discussion, I was under the impression that I could leave the door KNOB as a weak lock as long as the deadbolt was a stronger lock.

Are the Tylo deadbolts also succeptible to the cylinder removal puller?

As per your suggestion, I'll go back to Home Depot and ask for the "Titans" but I don't remember seeing the name of the lock anywhere on the Kwikset package. I think I'm stuck with Kwikset for now because of all my five inch latches.

Does anyone know if Home Depot sells the Kwikset Titans? Especially the grade 2 or grade 1 deadbolts which I am banking my security on?

If so, we ALL can go back to Home Depot to switch out our deadbolts (although with a glass door, even with a deadbolt, I wonder how much it really matters to have grade 1 locks).

Sandra

Reply to
MsMonarchdancer

There's not enough time to explain. Think about it, why has there stock tanked over recent years while the housing market was booming?

Service, Service, Service - plus paying their corporate heads millions for being incompetent.

Both Sears and Lowes are far superior.

Reply to
gamer

Cause he is SO pissed off about a prolific, disposable nine dollar lock that he can't help it.He sees the conglomerate of Home Depot as a looming fire-breathing dragon that will fry him like an egg.He worships the Tylo like a holy grail-LOL-He probably has a 2x4 poster of a Kwikset over his bed. Oh yes he has Kwikset on his front door-Whoopee Shit-If he had a Yale

5400, then he could rub shoulders with the elite class, but he can't...so he takes it out on you, an innocent consumer who knows how to ask questions in order to get things done,and that shows intelligence-And He can't handle it!!!! He carries a pickle fork!!! And he knows how to use it!!! (as an ass-scratcher) Just ignore him!!!

Nothing-we are all learning.Once we quit learning or refuse to learn-we are done.

They just suck-they stock way too much garbage and they don't pay their workers shit!!! A competent locksmith beats them all to hell when it comes to service. Home Depot's delivery time to recieve something that is not in the store-2 weeks or never. My time-three to 5 days.

Nothing-Any time you have a question-post it here. Did you try the spindle move? It does work-had to do that last night-LOL Did'nt mean to confuse you by "shooting from the hip" but that's the way I do it.

goma.

Reply to
goma865

CY: Cause people like you don't hire people like me to come out and do the work that I studied and trained to do.

CY: You can apprentice like anyone else. Learning is good. But expecting it for free is different.

CY: They are my competition.

CY: What's wrong with asking (for free) for the wisdom I worked to learn?

as little as

Home Depot and

CY: Yep. Compared to getting good service by hiring a pro.

CY: Hint: Open yellow pages. Look under L section. Look for heading "Locksmith".

A door lock seems like a common enough

that you

impression that I

deadbolt was a

puller? CY: Well, your ignorance is showing again. I'm not going to tell you why.

CY: Actually, my suggestion is to call a locksmith. You're being a cheepskate, still. Which doesn't surprise me, cause leopards seldom change t heir spots.

my security

CY: If you want security, call a locksmith.

deadbolts

much it

CY: Your local locksmith can answer qeustions.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I personally don't see what you're getting all worked up about ? this is "alt.locksmithing" the guy wasn't asking defeating instructions. also home depot is not any locksmiths competition.

Reply to
'Key

the above is all I meant to include in my response. just hit that send button before I trimmed it..

g'day

Reply to
'Key

it took me like an hour to read all these!.

The lock will work upside down, but is designed to work so that the teeth on the key are up when inserted into the lock. The kwikset cylinder is constructed with plastic parts so it cannot be beaten on too aggressively. You can pop it out with a screwdriver and brute force, but you stand a good chance of damaging the assembly.

Initially, once you determined that the handing of the lock(s) was incorrect, you could have returned to the store and if the guys in the store didn't have the ability to switch them over with the simple tool that is used for this task, then swap them out for Schlage which are easy to reverse with a pointed tool (ice pick or equivalent). When you are buying the Schlages, ask then to reverse the hand for you in the store first, or show you how, or leave the knobs off the locks until you've mounted them on the door, then pop the exterior knobs on with the cylinders correctly oriented. Or If you went to a locksmith in the first place, you would have been directed to the right lock for the project, and they could have rekeyed the new lock to match the existing locks in your home, and made you a few spare keys. Locksmiths will alsrekey and adjust locks brought in to them, even if you bought the locks elswhere. Call first so you know they will do it, and they will be in the shop when you arrive.

If these were new installs, or you encountered other problems, such as the existing holes in the door were too small to accept the new hardware, then having a locksmith do it would have ensured a clean and proper installation. Having a little experience, mechanical aptitude and a few special tools makes all the difference in the world. A major portion of most locksmiths' key cutting, is for folks who tried to get keys duplicated in a hardware store or home center; and the keys they were provided don't work.

As pointed out elsewhere, the home centers usually carry the lowest tier of product, so even if the lock is a 'brand' name, you are not really getting the quality that you are expecting because the lock company built their reputation on quality which is not present in low-end residential products.

But it's like that in every market; manufacturers exploiting a brand name built up over decades. and slipping in off-shore junk on you. But on the other hand, the home centers are responding to what their clients are demanding, and what has become the new way of thinking; buy cheap and throw it away when it breaks. With locks, and other critical items however, if it breaks, it may result in a burglary or personal injury.

That's where a locksmith is also valuable, he won't sell you something if he doesn't believe in it, because he knows the products, takes pride in his profession, and is a businessman and knows you'll call him up and he'll have to go back and make good on the job (referred to as a call-back)

H> >I personally don't see what you're getting all worked up > >about ?

Reply to
timO'

I've been wanting to know how to print the cent sign for some time. Thanks VERY much for the info!! I can do it now and it even works with Word Perfect! ¢

And I didn't know how to input ascii characters before, either.

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph

Newflash: That's what Usenet is for. If you don't like it don't answer the question. Don't be surprised when nobody answers yours either though.

Be realistic why would anybody pay a service call just to have a $12.99 lock cylinder reveresed????? My trip charge would be just under 5X what they paid for the lock. Let the store they came from do it. They sold the lock, let them provide some customer service.

?????? That was what you already said in the very first reply to this monster thread:

" Just call a locksmith and be done with it.".

Reply to
DB

Sears doesn't compete with HD in many if not most areas. Many Sears/Craftsman brand power tools are also total Chinese made crap. As far as customer service Lowes is about the same. No better no worse except that they don't have self checkout so you will wait longer to get out the door.

Reply to
DB

Do you paint your own house? Clean your own house? Fix your own car? Wash your own car? Do any of your own home reapirs? Mow your lawn? Unstop your own tiolet or sinks? If the answer to any of the above is yes then you are no different than the person you're whining at. There are people that do all those things for profit. You are taking money out of their pocket, you cheap greedy SOB.

Reply to
DB

No it isn't.

Reply to