Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

Reply to
Roger Cann

I used to like schlage alot, hell I use "a series" on my house. Don't like the newer designs too much.

Reply to
Roger Cann

If the latch is deadlatching, you can't slip it with a credit card.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Why would you want to push the strike back? The strike is mounted wtih two screws to the door jamb.

You'd want to push the latch back.

Real credit card burglars push the latch back.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Deadlatching is one of the things most builders in my area don't understand. Also, most of my customers. I had an interesting conversation one time with a truck driver I know. He was telling me he could get into a certain building with two knives. One to pry back the deadlatch trigger, and a second knife to pry back the latch. I showed him what deadlatching was. How it worked. One of the rare moments when he didn't have much to say.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm wondering how many end users have that skill?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yeah, Jim Rockfish (Rockford! Rockford!) was a pretty neat guy. I used to love that TV show.

"Just like on TV" or "just like the cops" is the reason I no longef own a flat bar for unlocking cars. I got tired of hearing that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
Roger Cann

Reply to
Roger Cann

"I can get one of them at the auto parts store. Matter of fact, my cousin Jimmy carries one in his trunk. I oughta just call him and save all that money you're charging me."

I did get a call once from a fellow locked out of his car, about

200 feet from an auto parts store. He'd walked in, and bought himself a harpoon style Slim Jim, and worked on his own car for awhile before calling a locksmith.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have a thumg and fingers -- and can't draw sketches of people. Neither can I perform surgery. Nor can I fly a commercial air liner.

You think something else is needed, also?

I like your comment about the ADA

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Why? Was your car made in the seventies, when Slim Jims worked?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The picking scenes not withstanding Rockford files was one of the best shows on TV. AFAIK he did most of his own driving too.

Reply to
Steve

I don't like them, and they do stiffen up if they aren't used much but the costal environment is probably some of the problem. Schlage F is a much better lock. Better made. Better finish. Just better.

I have a couple Kwikset deadbolts still installed at my place on doors that aren't unlocked from the outside so I just deadpinned the outside cylinders with a couple scrap drill bits, now they are pick proof and drill resistant ;), the sheerline anyway, and put the Medeco Maxums I reccomend to most other people to replace them on the doors that get opened from outside. Couldn't really justify them though on doors that are mostly a big pane of glass.

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Roger Cann

went on a call yesterday to BFE an hour away. lady said "they been working on it for an hour now!" I said how about you call me when there're done. she stopped'em and I was on my way. btw that 2002 Tahoe no longer works with a key... slim jim took the linkage out. should've called me first before her husband went at it.

oh yeah 1 more thing "You know if my cousin was here (and not in prison) he'd be in there already!"

Reply to
Roger Cann

Reply to
Roger Cann

There are a fair number. You will find fewer on commercial applications where the door and frame are usually both steel and there is very little give or flex.

Reply to
Steve

I was only talking doing this as a last resort. like when one mis-places their removal tool. it will not do germinate damage. (unless ya use a sledge hammer) :-)

Reply to
'Key

¢ = push #Alt and #155 at the same time...

g'day

Reply to
'Key