Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

I've never seen a deadbolt lock where installing it on either a right-hung or a left-hung door depended on removing the lock cylinder.

A deadbolt lock has three main sections: the outdoor part (which contains the lock cylinder), the indoor part (which has a knob for throwing the bolt), and the deadbolt mechanism.

Remove the screws that hold the indoor part and the outdoor part together. Now slide the indoor part and the outdoor part away from the deadbolt mechanism. Put the indoor part where the outdoor part was, and the outdoor part where the indoor part was. Put the screws back in.

Done.

Reply to
Doug Miller

You're spending far too much time on this. Are you anywhere near Seal Beach, CA?

Reply to
Ralph

Thank you DanG for the analysis of why it's best to have the bitting (teeth) up on the key.

I never knew why, but I never saw any professional install a lock any other way. It's sort of like installing a three-pronged USA electrical outlet upside down. The lock will still work but from a professional and esthetic and functional standpoint, it's subpar to install a left-hand lock knob on a right hand door.

Thank you for explaining why!

Reply to
MsMonarchdancer

My problem isn't with the deadbolt, it's with the entry lock knob.

Are you saying one can switch a Kwikset entry knob from a left-hand configuration to a right-hand lock setup WITHOUT removing the lock cylinder?

Reply to
MsMonarchdancer

Nope. I'm in the "colder" California. We actually had ice in the standing water outside this morning. The kids went crazy over it, even as they were outside with shorts on.

Reply to
MsMonarchdancer

Here's the way I do it. No pickle fork No puller

No shit

Press on the little hidden thingy and wiggle the knob thingy till you can get the shaft to drop. Take the shaft and turn it upside down and put it down inside so it is right on the end of the cylinder thingy. Make sure there is room for the pop-out thingy to come out-hold the key-knob thingy by the stem. Now hit the other end of the shaft with a small ball-pien hammer- Or invert the whole thingy, holding the shaft lightly and gently slam it on a good hard surface. POP. Now you can reverse the cylinder thingy and put it back in so the keyway will be right side up-or pins up.

All you have to do when you put it back together is nake sure the little metal springy thingies are bent back to their original shape so that they lock in good..

Reply to
goma865

Thought if you were closer I could show you how to do this.

Anyway. First time I tried to turn a kwikset keyway right-side up was quite a learning experience. Can practically do it in my sleep now but don't usually do much with Kwikset. Anyway, not a big thing to install the lock with pins down for a while, anyway. Go ahead and do it. Gotta think, though, that there is a good samaritan up your way that will guide you through the process of changing the keyway. Go back to where you bought it and ask. You might get lucky.

Reply to
Ralph

Those five inch latches are not a common part. I've used maybe one of them in the 21 years I've been a locksmith. I still have one or two around some where, probably out in the service van.

Yes, replace the latch and put the old lock back is a valid thing to do. Someday perhaps you can get the cylinders inverted.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You can't pop the cylinder out with a screw driver. Takes a special tool.

I have no way to know what parts your local store stocks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Schlage F-line. No tools needed to install lock upside down or right side up.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wrong. If you want the keyhole right side up, Kwiksets are handed. Right or left.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Gary is mistaken -- if you require the keyhole to be right side up.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The hidden tab that releases the center shaft has *ZERO* to do with removing the cylinder.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They can't clarify. They (Gary and Doug) are both mistaken.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

order to rotate

CY: Doug, she's describing a knob lock.

(which contains the

the bolt), and

CY: Doug, the customer is working on a knob lock.

part together. Now

deadbolt mechanism.

part where the

CY: Doug, if you invert the indoor and outdoor parts, you lock yourself into the house. And let anyone turn the knob and come in. You're not sounding very knowledgable.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Absolutely. Works the same way as I described for a deadbolt.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Think about it a little while, and you might figure out where you went out to lunch when you wrote this...

Reply to
Doug Miller

because Kwikset doesn't need to. your links should be self explanatory. once the cylinder is removed, it can be re-installed any way needed..

Reply to
'Key

home depot would have probably popped the cylinders out of the entry locks for you, if you would have just asked ? then after you installed the locks on your doors, you could have just popped them back in the way they needed to be.

g'day

Reply to
'Key

why use your palm ? use the table, floor or any hard surface :-)

Reply to
'Key