Flip Kwikset left-hand lock knob to right-hand keyhole reversal

Page 2 of 9

I looked up the tool reference you provided.
Yep, that'l work.
There is a better tool but it is more costly and probably not available at HD.
Make sure you pad the palm of your hand before trying to punch out the cylinder.
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 18:45:09 GMT, Ralph wrote:

Not having done it, that was the hard part about the job that I failed at last night.
I removed the stud easily by pressing on the "hidden" tab but when I pressed on that hidden tab to push out the lock cylinder, nothing budged. Of course, my one hand was pressing on the tab with the screwdriver, my other hand was pushing with a pen stuck down the center hole, and my third and fourth hands were trying to keep the whole thing from falling to the floor for yet another umpteenth time. :)
I think the inexpensive tool is worth it. I just hope Sears has it or Home Deport or Orchard Supply ...
The hidden tab that releases the center shaft has *ZERO* to do with removing the cylinder.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

why use your palm ? use the table, floor or any hard surface :-)
--
"Key"
========

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
in message

hmmm? I have poped out a cylinder with a screw driver before when I misplaced the tool..
--
"Key"
========

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

You nitwitt you just said:
"You can't pop the cylinder out with a screw driver. Takes a special tool."
Now after somebody who actually knows what he's talking about tells you it can be you start going on about popping it with screwdrivers afterall. Go get a job flipping burgers and quit butchering things as a 'locksmith' and 'HVAC tech'.
in message

have to disagree, done it many times with one screw driver. "without damaging the clips"
--
"Key"
========

Forget it. He doesn't know. First he said couldn't be done with screwdriver had to have a special tool. Then he said OK jewelers screwdrivers as long as you have two and they are precisley engineered for the purpose bla bla bla. Now he'll say one is Ok as long as it's a screwdriver made especially for working on those super high tech kwikset locksets that require all those special tools. You'd think it was the guidance system on the damn space shuttle he was talking about. Anyway, he doesn't care about damaged clips any more than he cared about ghost keys in that masterkey system he posted about or somebody getting electrocuted when they touch their AC unit or somebody's house blowing up from the gas leak he created when he 'fixed' their furnace. As long as nobody figures out he screwed it up, or at least as long as they can't prove it in court he's happy.
Speaking of the space shuttle: Chris did you by chance moonlight putting insulating foam on the booster tanks used on that thing a couple years ago?

This is total BS again showing how little you know about the trades you hack at. It can be popped with a screwdriver (or two) of the right dimensions or a sharp pick or anything that will physically fit for that matter.

actually it can be popped out from the rear with a blunt ended punch :-)
--
"Key"
========

I've found when you knock it out it's the same as pulling it from the front. Usually distorts the clips a little which granted is a small thing and easily fixed, but it bugs me to even slightly damage something I'm being paid to work on, if I don't absolutely have to. Then again some people complain I'm a damn perfectionist and it drives them nuts....
I don't like to use that A-1 tool either it does damage the lock and clips at times.. always the lock. IMHO But I have used it in an emergency and no not on a titan! :-) Roger..

I was only talking doing this as a last resort. like when one mis-places their removal tool. it will not do germinate damage. (unless ya use a sledge hammer) :-)
--
"Key"
========

No it doesn't.

They were having a sale on pipe wrenches and big hammers that day were they?
Oh, so it sounds like you found some instructions.
They probably randomly ship right or left hand locks. So, it's guess and miss if they will fit.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

because Kwikset doesn't need to. your links should be self explanatory. once the cylinder is removed, it can be re-installed any way needed..
--
"Key"
========

That's all true but the fact is since they sell their product, probably most of it, at retail straight to consumers, who for the most part won't know how to remove the cylinder, they should IMHO include good directions and the tool and just add a couple bucks to the cost of the lockset. They could also sell it with loose cylinders to be popped in at install once the handing was known.