Fixing a gash in timber strip floor

My iron tumbled from the table and landed sharp pointy head first into my timber strip floor, causing a deep gash. I am here in the sunny tropics and the neighborhood DIY store guy pointed me to a little tub of latex wood filler. Is that the best solution for me to fill up the hole in the wood floor? I think if I can find me one that matches the colour of the floor somewhat, then I don't have to stain it to match after filling. Advice anyone please? Thanks.
that'll work. fill it, sand, and apply a coat of polyurethane of some kind.
my snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I'd think an iron would leave a dent rather than a gash. If just dented, you can steam all or almost all out by applying a hot iron to a damp cloth placed over it. May take numerous times and the steam will probably mess up the finish locally which will have to be redone but it would have to be after a filler too.
Do not use latex based filler in a floor! Duh! Use Minwax plastic wood that's already the right color. It's acetone based, and much better than the "latex based filler" that is essentially spackling. Some sort of epoxy would be my second choice.
i installed a "rustic" (meaning i got it cheap) white oak floor which the flooring installer (a real pro) patched where he needed to with latex wood filler. this was a high traffic area. lasted for years, and was still lasting when i sold the house. so i you are wrong about the latex wood filler, in my opinion. steaming the dent is a good idea, though.
thanks for the responses. this is no dent. it is about 5mm deep 2mm wide and 1cm long. the iron's sharp front went into the wood like a dart. i saw Ronseal wood filler in teak color. i will try that.