Finally an alternative to incandescents?

Code here is hallways must be lit. Good candidate for long lasting lamps.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hardly an application where color or start up time matters. Of course, that wasn't the issue at hand.

Reply to
krw

A couple. Those are candidates for CFLs, possibly. All? Good grief!

Reply to
krw

What a horrible waste of electricity. You should be taken out and flogged by a Greenie.

Perhaps. A switch would be more effective, though.

Reply to
krw

Bullshit.

You really are an idiot. *YOU* just said that because you can't see it, it can't happen. What a dummy!

All CFLs are crappy, in that you can't tell the difference between shit and the best (still shit). You really have a *lot* of trust of technology. Designing this stuff, I know better. LEDs are still at least five years (probably ten, if ever) away from being useful for general lighting.

I must say, you're good at being wrong.

Reply to
krw

That's where I bought mine. I don't remember what I paid but it was in the $2-$3 range. They work for the basement but there is *no* way they'd live upstairs.

Reply to
krw

I have a 9 watt florescent tube fixture over the kitchen sink I leave on, roommate can't leave it alone because his father who grew up during THE Depression would beat him for leaving lights on. I don't bounce the way I did when I was younger and I've been hurt because I tripped over something in the dark. A broken hip costs more than the electricity to run a 9 watt light 24/7 for 30 years. o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Are you using 75W incandescents or "75W equivalent" CFLs? If the latter I think you'd be OK with the new Philips light as it doesn't play fast and loose with "wattage equivalents" like everyone else has for years.

There are brighter LEDs on the market, but they're less efficient and more expensive. I know Philips has them, but they're expensive and fall prey to the same optimistic ratings as CFLs (e.g. the "75W equivalent" LED bulb uses 17W, produces 1100 lumens and costs $40 and the "100W equivalent" one is 22W, 1780 lumens, $55 whereas real 120V incandescent bulbs would in fact be 75W/1200 lumens. Surprisingly the "100W equivalent" appears to in fact be so.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

It has a switch, we don't use it though. I want to be able to walk into the kitchen at any time and be able to get a drink of water or whatever. Plenty of light to start the coffee or tea in the morning. Casts enough light to find the bathroom door, the top of the stairs. too.

I also have an LED nightlight in the bathroom. Gives enough light that you can use the bathroom during the night and not have to turn a light on. Only had it about 6 months so I'm not sure how long it will last.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Both, depending on location. The new CFLs have a good color temperature and don't have any lag when turned on. When CFLs became available, they were horrid sickly green, but no more. The bright white is quite nice, better than incadescents.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What a waste. I flick the light on when I walk into the kitchen. They put them by the door for a reason. LED nightlights in the hall take care of the rest.

I have a few around the house. They use a lot less energy than your wasteful habits.

Reply to
krw

Another energy hog! Wow!

...gotta go check on my stash of 100W incandescents.

Reply to
krw

The white is better but they still have that damned lag, particularly when it's cold (*very* noticeable below 60F - worse as it gets colder).

Reply to
krw

A person can go broke tying to save enough money.

Reply to
Fat-Dumb and Happy

LOL!.....

That's a quote.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I think it has a lot to do with the $50 price.

I know a lot of contributors here don't like them but, cfls work fine for me. Anyplace I need instant-on I've still got all my old incandescents or T8s.

It's funny to watch you guys get all huffy over light bulbs.:)

Reply to
gonjah

Number found here:

is 9.4% for lighting and that is pre-cfl even.

I love the LED flashlights too. Believe I have 2 of the three watt Crees.

I bought two HD TV's last year, one LCD and one LED. Difference is the lighting as what are called LCD's use cfl lighting where LED set has LCD screen but lighting is LCD. The LED set runs noticeably cooler. Don't know the wattage difference.

Reply to
Frank

My 23 years in the biz trumps your zero.

Reply to
Pete C.

Apparently you haven't learned anything in your "23 years".

Reply to
krw

LOL!.....

That's a quote.