Finally an alternative to incandescents?

FLASHLIGHTS!!!!

I love the LED flashlights too. Believe I have 2 of the three watt Crees.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I love the LED flashlights too. Believe I have 2 of the three watt Crees.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Closest to me claims to have them--for $50. Allegedly costs $1.20 per year to operate (YMMV disclaimer) if you have it on three hours per day.

At my electric rates, if I replace a 60W incandescent that runs three hours a day, I will indeed spend $1.22 a year on it, saving the purchase price in eight years.

However, the "warranty" is only six years. CFLs are "warranted" five years, and most of them last three to six months (yeah, yeah, yours lasts just fine. Well, mine don't--from GE, Sylvania, & Feit.) The "warranty" is meaningless marketing.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Depends on what you call testing. My personal experience (ten to fifteen bulbs) with CFLs is that their life time is five percent of the length of the B.S. "warranty"

If this thing, with it's six-year warranty, is proportional, then the answer for me would be NO,

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Yeah, Lord knows flipping a light switch before having coffee is not feasible. You'd have no energy left to press the button on the coffee maker.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Many of the ones I got were reasonably bright when first turned on, though there was some build-up. But mine--the ones that don't burn up first--seem to get worse in warm-up time as they age.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

--- SNIP ---

According to a Philips Lighting speaker that I heard at a conference recently, the high price of their "L Prize" bulb is due to (1) it's made-in-the-USA costs which were a requirement of the DOE who sponsored the L Prize competition (2) the high 90+ color rendering index requirement and (3) the projected sales which are expected to be less than "commodity" LED bulbs with poorer performance and shorter life.

Late last year, the California Energy Commission adopted a ruling that set up performance specifications similar to the L Prize bulb. They're called "California Quality" requirements. The plan is to have the utilities in California rebate only California Quality bulbs next year and to make those rebates substanial. It's interesting that the DOE and the CEC both feel that the quality of light (good color, high light output, long life) are important if consumers are to accept them. Reading about all of the poor performing bulb products on this ng, including the sad stories about CFLs, it seems about time that we have quality products that offer value if we're ever to replace the energy-wasting incandescent bulbs.

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

Having worked in the warranty claims department of one of those companies some years ago, I can tell you the warranty is not meaningless. Yes, the company will ask you for a sales slip, a date code from the bulb and maybe want to see the burned out bulb itself; but you will get a free replacement .. sometimes more. If the bulb is Energy Star listed, the whole thing can be done by calling an 800 number. With the more expensive LED bulbs, the Energy Star listing becomes more important, of course.

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

That's dumb. Why light a space with no humans in it?

When we lived in Europe none of the hallways or stairways were lit. There were two different approaches. In some, like hotels, you hit a switch at t he door that started a timer. In others a motion detector started a timer. Either way you weren't lighting an empty stairway or hallway.

No, it's not a huge amount of energy. But if there's no point to lighting something, why do it?

Reply to
TimR

In the U.S. it's likely to be a fire safety issue in commercial, institutional, multistory and multifamily housing buildings. In the past, I'm sure there was loss of life because people couldn't see where they were going to evacuate a building. We have the lighted EXIT signs and emergency lights to light hallways and stairwells whenever power is lost and most businesses and restaurants have a light fixture or two that have one bulb that stays lit as a night light. When I had a long warehouse building for my business, I installed two 9 watt fluorescent light fixtures that stayed on all the time and I could see my way 200 feet from the front to the back door without turning on the main lighting. I don't like tripping over things. I like the new LED lights that I can install for night lights knowing the darn things will outlast me. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

That's dumb. Why light a space with no humans in it?

When we lived in Europe none of the hallways or stairways were lit. There were two different approaches. In some, like hotels, you hit a switch at the door that started a timer. In others a motion detector started a timer. Either way you weren't lighting an empty stairway or hallway.

No, it's not a huge amount of energy. But if there's no point to lighting something, why do it?

------------------

The motion detectors are the way to go for both function and minimum energy use. The timers don't usually allow for slow walkers -- older people, for instance -- and they leave you in the dark when you come out of your door.

OK, I live there and I'll carry a flashlight; but it's not good to leave a visiting granny in the dark.

Tomsic

Reply to
=

That is why you buy an occupancy sensor. It continues to be re triggered every time it sees motion and times out after the last movement detected. You can usually set the time out up to fifteen or twenty minutes. I have a light and fan connected to one in the bathrooms. I also have an occupancy sensor in the hall triggering some rope in the crown and another one in the kitchen triggering under kick and soffit lights. It is enough to get a drink of water or even fix a sandwich. Because of the layout, you can see to walk around in the living room and dining room from this light. There is also one in the rec room so anywhere you go in the house is lit when you get there (except the sleeping rooms) When you leave, the lights go off.

Reply to
gfretwell

I have a problem with those darn things in restrooms. The cursed things turn the light out before I'm done dropping a load of readymix but I have several flashlights on my person at all times when I'm out somewhere, especially when I'm working. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I should clarify. I'm talking about hallways in multi family swellings or apartment buildings, not a home. It is a safety issue. I don't know if motion detectors would be allowed or not, but it would have to have good coverage so a light would be on no matter where a person would be stepping into the hall.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

ews:kmgekr$k82$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

I think most of us understood that.

Reply to
trader4

Motion sensors have a real issue in smoke and where there's a source of heat, too. Elevators are famous for delivering people to the fire. Though I don't know for a fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they weren't allowed in this amplification.

Reply to
krw

They're just telling you that you have to work faster.

Reply to
krw

I have a problem with those darn things in restrooms. The cursed things turn the light out before I'm done dropping a load of readymix but I have several flashlights on my person at all times when I'm out somewhere, especially when I'm working. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think most of us understood that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have a problem with those darn things in restrooms. The cursed things turn the light out before I'm done dropping a load of readymix but I have several flashlights on my person at all times when I'm out somewhere, especially when I'm working. ^_^

TDD

Just read some proposed rules for ceiling fans controls. One calls for mandating a motion or occupancy sensor for turning the fan on when someone enters a room, but leaving it off when the room is empty. OK; but what about a bedroom with a sleeping person or two trying to keep cool on a hot night? Do I have to wake up and wave my arm at the sensor every few minutes?

Tomsic

Reply to
=