My home is much colder without incandescent light bulbs

My home is much colder without incandescent light bulbs. Because of th Nazi government in Washington, I was forced to replace them with those stupid looking curly compact fluresent bulbs. Those things not only look stupid, but they dont get hot like the old bulbs. Now I'm cold all the time in winter. I might save a few cents on electricity but it's much colder now. I dont like it.

Lucy

Reply to
LucyInTheSky

The USA was founded based on personal liberty and freedom. As such, you have the freedom to do what the government allows.

Signed up for health care, yet?

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

gee i love the lower electric bills, and look forward to even lower costs from lED bulbs.

turn your heat up a little its more efficent than heating from light bulbs

Reply to
bob haller

What a crock.

If the incandescent bulbs made a noticeable difference to the temperature in your house either you've got a serious "Princess and the Pea" complex, or you are burning a LOT of bulbs.

You probably complained that incandescent bulbs made the house too hot in the summer too.

Reply to
dennisgauge

Could tungsten incandescent bulbs be sold if they're renamed to "miniature screw-in electric heaters"?

Reply to
sam E

Have you considered getting an appropriate light fixture, one of the incandescent bulbs still available such as the pointy chandelier bulbs and a long extension cord then inserting the bulb into your alimentary canal exit port? Even a low wattage bulb should be enough to keep you nice and toasty warm in the coldest of weather. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I remember a fellow in Germany tried that and the government shut him down. I think it got too popular and you know that any government will stop the citizenry from obtaining what they want. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You must have missed the shelves in the store filled with halogen incandescent bulbs.

Seems like the solution would be to get a set of halogen incandescent bulbs and use them during the heating season and then put your existing CFL types in for the summer and the cooling season. That way you get the heat that you want and save energy on both heating and cooling.

Everyone moans and groans about what the government did or didn't do about light bulbs; but what's happened in the market is that there are more bulb choices on the retail shelves than ever before in history, prices for CFL and LED bulbs have come down and consumers can take their pick of incandescent, fluorescent or LED technology.

Maybe the main objection is that people have to actually learn something about light bulbs to make the proper choice these days.

Tomsic

Reply to
=

Silly Wabbit, HomoGay is a Cunickistani!

Reply to
krw

If his house is small and well insulated, heat loss could less than 20,000 btu's. I heat 3000 sqft with under 40,000 btu , outside temps 5C

15 100w bulbs generates 5200btu's, at 100% efficiency, which could result in a very noticeable difference. I am not considering the incandescent short bulb life here.

If the cost of electricity is equal or less than his primary heating fuel, he would be better to stay with the CFL's or LED's and add a electric space heater

Reply to
martik777

More gas or oil for your furnace is likely cheaper than the electricity consumed by incandescent lights...

my real complaint with all the energy efficient bulbs is that if you have antique lamps or fixtures designed for a large incandescent bulb, it's impossible to find a drop in replacement that's as bright. But up to about 60W or so LED is the way to go.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

That's a good point. Electric heat is usually the most expensive among the three choices that you mentioned. But, we're not talking about home lighting that costs thousands of dollars/year to operate either. It's more like $200-300/year according to the DOE report at

with the heat contribution from lighting amounting to about 1700 kWh/year. Maybe the OP is really talking about "visually colder" or the color of the bulbs. That's easily fixed witha warm-tone bulb of lower color temperature.

Tomsic

Reply to
=

well no...

100 Watts of heat from a bulb in a lamp a few feet away while reading is plenty enough to feel the warmth on the back of my neck and allows me to set the thermostat lower.

Mark

Reply to
makolber

Hmm, Go one step further I gradually started using LED bulbs. Prices are getting better with more choices. CFL gets pretty warm but LED is cool to touch. And house has to be well insulaed no matter what. Every little things we do to conserve energy counts. Think global, act local.........

Reply to
Tony Hwang

"home lighting that costs thousands of dollars/year to operate"

Now *THAT'S* funny! You must be a lefty.

Reply to
krw

I like the LED bulbs because they don't seem to have the drawbacks of CFLs. I managed to get a small stash of Philips L-Prize bulbs while HD had them for $15 apiece. They're still some of the finest LED "bulbs" made to this date. 90+ CRI, nice warm color temp, and 10W for more light than a traditional 60W incandescent. They dim pretty well too.

Unfortunately, nothing has hit the market since that compares... Cree has a bulb that is aimed at the california market with high CRI but they're not available here. Anything else that approaches the high CRI and quality of the L-Prize is $50 or more apiece.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel