Finally an alternative to incandescents?

Every other LED I've use over the last 40 years or so has lasted a whole lot longer than 30,000 hours. 30k is a conservative estimate for warranty purposes, most will last a lot longer. When was the last time you had an LED burn out on some device where it is on 24x365?

Reply to
Pete C.

I'll get back to you in a decade or so...

Reply to
Pete C.

Tell that to anyone in the photo/video/film/stage lighting fields...

None of the dozens of CFLs I've used have ever behaved that way. You must live in the Bermuda triangle for CFLs.

Yep, as it does to make incandescents and for you to buy the 40 incandescents that it will take to cover the service life of one LED lamp.

T8s are good, but LED are still more efficient W/Lumen.

Reply to
Pete C.

Probably fraud, for claiming a subsidy from a utility you aren't a customer of.

Reply to
Pete C.

And it will keep him from drowning when he's swimming across the Delaware with a load of lighbulbs behind him.

Philips is in this to make money, not so save electricity.. I'd be surprised if anyone working for Philips invented the LED lightbulb**. someone else did. They're just marketing it, and they think packaging that attracts attention, and makes the item look valuable (esp since it seem to be) will make it sell better. There's no double standard. OTOH It's the inventor, the government, and the customer who are interested in saving electricity.

**And even if someone did, Philips goal was still to make money. There are enterprises with societal goals. Maybe we could make a list of them. I think Kellogg truly thought that his cereals would make people healthier. Or maybe I'm thinking of Post or General Mills (What war was Mills a general in?)
Reply to
micky

Not sure that's the right comparison. The typical LED, used for example as an indicator on a stereo or PC, is just that, an LED and a very low power one at that. To make an LED bulb, you have to have not only a much higher power LED, but also a power supply that has to fit in the form factor of a bulb. Combine all that with the need to try to keep the cost down, how flimsy many of the CFLs and other crap is that's built in China is, etc, and I'm a bit more cautious.

Reply to
trader4

I don't mind opening them much anymore, as I immediately reach for the razor knife to open them.

I do feel bad about returning an item, because if I return something I like it to be in the same condition as when I purchased it, something impossible to do with the HF-sealed clamshell packaging.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

None? Ever? I don't think it's necessarily that all spiral ones take a considerable time to warm up, but I've sure seen plenty of them that do take a long time. I have some of them in my garage. right now. This time of year, they take about 1 min to get near full brightness. For the first 15 secs, it's dim, but at least you can see. In the winter, you could double the time and for the first 30 secs, you can't see worth a damn. They are so bad, I switched back to regular bulbs for the most critical of the 4, so at least I can see something.....

To be fair, these are older ones and I've had newer ones that are better. But then when I bought these $7 things, they were supposed to last a very long time so that I would get the payback right? And one big problem that the industry fails to address is that there are no STANDARDS. There should be a spec system where how long they take to get to say 50%, 75%, 100% output at 65F and 25F is right on the box. That is one of the frustrations, that even today, you;re buying a pig in a poke. And what you bought last year, that gave an acceptable light quality, warm-up time, etc, is probably no longer available because now they have some other bulb, from some other junk Chinese facility.

Oh and then there are other surprises. Like the CFL spiral ones, at least some of them, say they are not supposed to be installed upside down. Or the ones that look like reflector/ flood type bulbs. But while having basically the same shape, the neck is much thicker so that it won't go into my recessed lights....

The experience with CFL is one reason I'm not real quick to jump on the LED bandwagon and buy all the marketing BS. Not at $15 - $25 for sure.

If it lasts that long. Based on what I've seen with CFL versus the claims, I'm skeptical. And just because the typical low power LED indicator in a stereo or PC lasts a long time, doesn't mean the LED light will. The light also has a power supply adn those typically have things like caps in them that fail before the LED. And with the drive to make these cheap so people will buy them, I wouldn't be suprised to find out that the PS dies long before the LED itself. And also, the light LEDs are high power devices, so I don't think extrapolating the lifespan of an indicator LED is valid.

Reply to
trader4

More bullshit. You don't have 40YO high power LEDs.

Bullshit. How many people will return these things for replacement? How many return their pressure treated wood?

Reply to
krw

You do that. BTW, do you really run your light bulbs 8 hours a day, seven days a year? Look at all that power *YOU'RE* wasting!

Reply to
krw

Really? Do photographers and videographers use CFLs? You really are a dummy.

The only possible explanation is that you're blind.

You really are an idiot. It would take me forty years to go through forty lights. Try turning off your lights when you leave a room. You'll save a *LOT* more money than using crappy CFLs.

I don't think that's right.

Reply to
krw

I bought the house a year ago and bought the CFLs after that. They all have the warm-up problem. It's a real PITA in the Winter.

Reply to
krw

You really are trying to win the top idiot award for the NG, aren't you?

Reply to
krw

That happens a lot more often that you might think, krw. In my case, I have the hallway lights in my building on 24 hours per day. That's a total of 21 light bulbs going 24/7. If I were to shut them off at night, then tenants would have to carry flashlights to find their apartment doors.

Also, in the winter here in Winnipeg, by the time you leave for work at

8:30 in the morning, the Sun is just starting to rise, and when you quit work at 4:30 in the afternoon, the Sun is setting. So, ALL of the time you're at home, the lights are on.

'Winnipeg, Canada - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma'

That might seem like 8 hours of "daylight", but if you allow 1/2 hour for dawn and another 1/2 hour for dusk, you're down to 7 hours of BROAD "daylight" per day. And, your house lights are going to be on during dawn and dusk on Saturdays and Sundays cuz there's not enough light to see well by during those times.

So, that's 640,000 people in Winnipeg, or 200,000 homes (say) with their lights on at least 8 hours per day.

Reply to
nestork

A couple run about 14hrs/day, so those should go in just under six years.

Reply to
Pete C.

I'm still happy with my new LED "bulbs." I like old incandescents. (in

fact, I saw on the shelf at the Orange Colored Store, which I stopped at

last night to buy a socket extender, some incandescent bulbs with vintage-styled envelopes and filament configurations. Was tempted to grab a couple, but don't know what I would do with them.) But before you think I'm a fluorescent hater, I still have an old Dazor desk lamp with some full-spectrum tubes in it that I still use as, well, a desk lamp... That old magnetic ballast is kind of loud, but because I'm a sucker for vintage and it's a heavy, quality-made piece, I keep it around. When it dies (if it does before I do) I'll look into retrofitting an electronic ballast and reworking the switch appropriately...

nate

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yep, they sure do. They also use T8 flouro arrays.

Yes, that's it, that's the ticket... Nobody could possibly have experience that doesn't match your prejudice...

I've never used crappy CFLs, I used good CFLs and have now moved on to good LEDs now that they are available at reasonable prices. The LG ones I've been using for a bit over a year are performing wonderfully.

It is, whether you think it or not.

Reply to
Pete C.

I think mine were from home depot and were less than $2 each. I can go look at the label if you want.

Reply to
micky

It is a lot of money, but it is not a lot of light. I'm not interested until they have equivalent of 75W or 100W. We don't have a

60 in the house that I can think of.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have a kitchen under counter fixture that has been on for the 32 years we've lived here. Actually, I'm on the third, maybe fourth fixture. It is a Lights of America fluorescent that is cheaper to replace than just buying a new bulb.

There are 8760 hours in a year and these things last a few years. There may be an LED in the future for that location.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski