Exterior Paint Recommendation

I am relying on some expert opinions here--or at least personal experience: I am planning to paint the exterior of our home (standard wood siding) with either a yellow or taupe paint. Since we haven't chosen 1 color over the other yet can anyone make some recommendations for a brand for either--brands for yellow and brands for taupe? We live in southern Connecticut and the house will get a fair bit of sun--especially along the top half--so I will need something that can handle the humidity and the sunlight. I will be applying it over a pretty dark brown color so it will also take some priming.
I was thinking Pittsburgh Paint, Sherwin Williams or just good ol' Lowe's or Home Depot (Valspar or Behr, respectively). Other than that I don't really know 1 from the other. Thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks in advance!
--Don--
<< Thoughts or suggestions? >>
The usual: Google search, archives of this newsgroup (lots of posts there), consumer test magazines. Good luck.
Joe
A " Yellow " color actually, Yellow , will not cover as well as a color of one shade differen ce .. REAL Yellow =2 coats, to cover , Sherwin Williams has a paint with a lifetimre warranty called, Duration...Good stuff.
Thanks, Mark!
--Don--

    Yellow covers least well of all colors. Expect at least two coats. (Tip: If the paint store has mis-tints of the same paint in a similar shade, you can use that for the first coat. Mis-tints usually cost much less)

    I'm sorry. You lost me here. In my experience the previous color does not determine whether to use primer. Primer is used on bare wood.

    Both Pittsburgh and SW make some fair paints. Buy from a dealer that knows what they're doing and will sell you their best quality products.
    I would not use any paint from the borg. These stores are not in business to sell quality products.
    I prefer Benjamin-Moore. I have had generally good experience with their products.
            Good luck.
                Peter
Thanks, Peter. By priming, what I meant to say was that I was planning to apply a layer of something (prime, Kilz, etc) to cover over the dark brown that is currently on the house. Just so we are on the same page, though, I'm not a pro :-) --is there something else you would recommend? I will probably be using a yellow over the brown so I'm planning on at least 2 coats of actual paint--probably 3 coats if really tough to cover.
Thanks again for your help!
--Don--

or
Check last months Consumer Reports. Extensive article.

experience:
with
or
really
I had my house trim painted with Sherwin Williams Duration. It's expensive but the painter said it was the best.
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:56:36 -0400, "Craven Morehead"

The Wobulator
*Please REMOVE the obvious for my correct email address*
I heard the very same thing from a painter who seemed to know his stuff. I have a 1894 wood-sided house that's about to be painted. He claimed that Duration produces a significantly thicker coat of paint (and pigment) than other paints (including Ben Moore) and is the best choice for older homes.
He also mentioned that it cost about $35 per gallon (at the reduced rate that pro painters get). So it's significantly more expensive than other premium paints (which are probably no more than $25 per gallon at the pro rate).
Randy
The Wobulator wrote:

--
Randy Crawford http://cac.engin.umich.edu