Energy savings of a ' fridge

Page 7 of 7

Interesting info; thanks for publishing.
BTW the difference between the 2.5 and 1.0 kWh (1.5 kWh per day) would, at our rates have a cost difference about 15 cents per day, or roughly $4.50 per month.
However any 'wasted energy' (i.e. heat from the older less efficient appliance) offsets home heating, when required. The amount is equivalent to a 1.5 kilowatt heater running for one hour per day. Since we use electric heating most months of the year don't think the difference would be appreciable or noticeable here!

IMO, the warranty was reduced not because of the trade-offs of efficiency at the expense of reliability, but just plain costs. Some years ago, compressors were made in the USA by people like Copeland or Tecumseh. Now most are imported and made by the lowest bidder. The price of a basic refrigerator or room air conditioner has gone down in terms of real dollars because they are made cheaper by better manufacturing processes and cheaper materials. Consumers don't expect appliances to last as long as they used to either.

If he is paying 30 a month , I am paying 8$ a gallon for gasolene, it aint so. its BS

I know I'm late here but what I find unbelievable is that ten years ago they ran the same ads. That means a new energy star fridge of today uses 1/4 the energy of a twenty year old fridge.
I did have one of those "watt wizards" on an old fridge long ago and you could actually hear the motor make less noise as it was reducing the energy to it. I think it worked by sensing the speed of the motor and slowly cut back the power until it sensed the motor slowing down. Todays motors are just barely strong enough to operate the compressor. If you try to use a watt wizard on a newer fridge the compressor motor will stall.
Tony