Energy Star Compliant Doors

How important is this notation when looking at doors? I am comparing HD's "Feather River" doors and a "Therma-Tru" door, both fiberglass. I like the looks of the latter door much better, but it says nothing about "Energy Star" stuff on the literature, while the former says it is compliant in all

50 states.

Is this notation just a marketing thing, or should I take it into account for comparison? The doors seem similarly constructed, with foam cores and triple-pane glass.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Do they give specifications on R values and insulation? The second may be the same but did not do whatever has to be done to say they are Energy Star compliant. You probably have to do testing a pay a fee for the use of the name.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Any manufacturer want his suplies to have an Energy Star label. It means they are above a certain insulating value and air infiltration rating. I would not but any window or door that is not since I live in a high heat-cooling area. Check each units independant rating for air infiltration and R or U value. If one unit doesn`t say it is "Energy Star" likely it fails their requirements.

Reply to
m Ransley

They have detailed specs in a PDF. It looks impressive, but I guess I would have to compare it to the other one. I'd rather do my taxes than grind through u and r factors.

Buck Turgidson

See if they've been rated by The National Fenestration Rating Council

They're a non-profit organization that rates window, doors and skylights. The web site explains the NFRC label and provides a directory of certified products.

Reply to
Bob