Electrically boobie-trapping an aluminum sash window

Whatever you do, don't do that!
I've used a small fence charger to secure a car in my yard. It was amazing how many kids knew that! Such devices may not be legal where you live. They are safer, mostly, than running line voltage and current.
Jeff

Why screw around with 115? Tap the dryer or stove outlet. Same legal penalty I suppose.
Red Green wrote:

You've just disclosed your ignorance of household electricity.
The voltage you could put onto the window sash would still be 120 volts.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
On 10/24/2010 2:01 PM, jeff_wisnia wrote:

Maybe he's European?
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

That thought occured to me, but the OP mentioned "115 volts" which pretty much said he wasn't on the right side of the pond. <G>
Jeff
On 10/24/2010 8:24 PM, jeff_wisnia wrote:

Darn Euros, we can't get them to stay home!
TDD

The house power can be deadly and if you kill or injure someone, you can be charged with a crime. I you want to electrically deter someone, I suggest an electric fence charger. The power is current limited and not considered lethal although painful.
TDD

One word...Claymore
On 10/24/2010 9:54 AM, Red Green wrote:

A Claymore is too heavy, try a Samurai sword. 8-)
TDD

Or an IED. He could blame it on the Muslims.
I would recommend a bazooka. Just go out in the back yard when the neighbor is out there and tell him to stand close behind you while you test the weapon. The neighbor dies in the accident. Problem solved.

Better yet, redo window with guillotine and trigger. Also mount triggered camera like they do on roller coasters. Smile!
Not sure if this is considered a green or red solution.

If you throw the body on a compost pile, it could be both, I suppose

Not supposed to put meat, bones, fat, etc. on compost piles.

I saw him on Bill Maher show once. Once was enough. Pathetic.
HB

I would try harsh language first. You could come up with some cutting remarks that would scar him for life.
On 10/24/2010 9:59 AM, Country wrote:

HEY, YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!
TDD

(-:
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote the following:

There have been many cases where someone was injured by a boobie trap, no matter if it was on the home owner's property or not, and the person setting the trap was charged with a crime. What if police, fire, or EMTs used those windows to get into your house in an emergency?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

BAD,BAD,BAD idea. not only have people been killed by this sort of booby trap,the owner often gets nailed by their own trap.

FELONY crime;manslaughter. good for several years of prison.

the BEST idea is to get one of those digital cameras made for hunters,that strap to a tree,and use an IR flash to capture whatever breaks the motion sensor's field of view. Then you have credible evidence of exactly who did the vandalism/break-in,and police can use it to arrest and convict them. It's also good for a civil lawsuit,to collect damages.
They are sold at sporting goods stores.
Or you could use a wireless webcam connected to your PC. there are several security cams made,with SW that makes the camera act as a motion sensor,records to harddisk when the image changes. you need one that has an integral IR light source.you can even buy them at WalMart.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

An Alarm Co. like Slomin Shield or ADT would be best. Or go with the best solution here, hide cameras pointed at the exposed windows, and get them on video inside your property.....Good luck....I'd bait them and wait for them inside right next to the windows with a phone and a bat.
Jim Yanik wrote:

HF has them for $35.00. http://www.harborfreight.com/weatherproof-color-security-camera-with-night-vision-95914.html
You'll also need a video capture board (mine cost $11.00) for your PC.