Electric Meter

They used to be and it was really common practice to refurb them for reuse. Now there is a glut of "old style" meters because of the mass "smart meter" upgrades.

I saw a retired power guy had a meter set up on a wooden base. He had a plug and socket on it, and was using the meter as a Kill O Watt.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Kewl. Unlike the Kill O Watt, it won't lose the accumulated readings if the power fails. I think I'll go look for one on Ebay.
-- Bobby G.
On 6/18/2010 8:05 PM, HeyBub wrote:

They already read the meters remotely here in KC. It's done over the lines in real time back to the office. Yes, we can see our usage online, and the number will be exactly what the meter says at any given point.
--
Steve Barker

With these smart meters and the proper thermostats, the power company in my area (Ontario Canada) will give you rebates if you let them cycle down from their office your air conditioner during peak demand periods. There are times where our power company actually has to import power from the US (ohio and michigan) in summer. We use a lot of nuclear power here and Ohio uses a lot of coal, but Ohio's pollution comes and hangs out over Ontario. So It makes some sense to set-up the meter to avoid importing power during peak times although I would never sign up for this program, I hope others do.
Also these new meters charge different electrical rates during low demand periods so if you run your dryer or dishwasher after say 10pm you will pay 50% less for the energy used during this period.

It would seem you need more than just a smart meter to be able to do this. Here in NJ they've been doing this for 25+ years, using just an RF controlled device on the AC unit, no smart meter.

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 05:55:10 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Yes, Baltimroe too, but last summer they wanted to come out and change the control unit on the AC.
I had signed up for this again, and the guy arrived and handed me the brochure and went to work, and this time he drilled 2 holes in my brick wall, in the mortar at least, and installed it.
After he left I read the brochure and it said he could have mounted it to the AC if I requested that, but it was too late. I was really annoyed.
Now they're offerring setback thermostats too, but I've had one for 26 years. If it's connected to varying electric rates, I don't think they said that.

On 6/19/2010 9:11 AM, mm wrote:

Alabama power had or has these evil radio controlled gadgets that were installed on the AC condenser of folks who singed up for a reduced rate or credit. During peak demand, the AC could be turned off by the power company. I haven't seen one for a while and always disconnected them when someone called for service on an AC which wasn't cooling.
TDD
wrote:> Alabama power had or has these evil radio controlled gadgets that were

I'm not surrendering control of my A/C or any appliance to some quasi government body (but I hope others do) but the code is here that there has to be an outside electrical disconnect for the A/C. The radio unit/thermostat gets installed in this box.
Apparently in Ontario they can't override your settings by more than 2 C which is 5 F and it can only be done during weekday "working" hours. Never at evening nights or weeknights. I still wouldn't sign up but the owners before did and I had the ultity remove the switch when they did a wire search for me.

Baltimore County, I have, I think there has to be an outsdie disconnect, but they wired the switch into the compressor wiring. I guess that enables them to switch off only the low voltage control circuit.

Apparently here they almost never use the things, or so they say, but they are planning for occasions when they will. And when they do, they're supposed to just do a rolling turn off of AC, a half hour?? and then on again; and on to some other people. I don't know if they correlate that with a numeric temperature change or not.

I guess that is irony. You should get some big fans to blow it over Quebec.

Electric fans. That would be more irony.

Quebec won't sell us cheap power. They prefer to sell to New York City and Boston at 7 times the price. Which is good. It means we subsidise that province less. Selling overpriced electricity is about the only thing Quebec does right.
Problem is when you buy cheap coal power from Ohio, you have to take the smog with it.

They can shut off your meter remotely, even just to save power for industry during peak hours and when your AC needs it the most. If its tampered with or the power goes out they know immediatly as the meter contacts the system about every minute, they dont need meter readers anymore its all computer generated now. I would rather have the old meter.
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 06:43:29 -0700 (PDT), ransley

They'll shut off the AC all right if you have one of those things, and turn down your heat maybe if you have that, but they're not going to shut off the electricity at the meter to save AC for someone else.

My nephew wanted to be a meter reader when he grew up. This is going to hit him hard.

mm wrote:

He still can. Even if the water and gas go the way of electric, he can still go door-to-door reading them.
Might see something interesting.
HeyBub wrote:

The meter will be read from the office computers. No meter readers needed.
--
LSMFT