Electric Meter

Government started out as a banding together for common defense. Very useful when the Vikings pull into your seaside village in their longboats. I took an econ. course once that described the rise of government and it's clear the shift occurred when instead of having to fight for your lord for X months of the year, you could pay off your debt of service with provisions or gold.

Once taxation began, it tended to ratchet up until rebellions happened. I can't recall a society that didn't snowball. When the revenue starts flowing, it all gets spent and the temptation is to raise taxes, not cut expenditures in almost every society that ever collected taxes. The US is a perfect example - we were born out of a hatred of increasing English taxation.

Smart meters have been shown to have an enormous potential to cut down on electrical consumption. But that feature, I assume, is at the bottom of the list for the companies implementing them. To them, it represents a cost savings (fewer meter readers) and a way to exert greater control remotely.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I've lived in houses in Maryland (built 1971) that have had the meters inside (Mom HATED that) and in olders houses (built 1941) that have all 3 meters (water, gas, electric) on the outside. Once I lived in a place (D.C.) that had no electric meter at all. The previous occupants had done their own hookup to the pole and since it was a second floor apartment, no one ever caught on while I lived there. I learned later that the utilities can bill you for usage anyway based on estimated use if the meter is bad or missing entirely.

I imagine the big push is because of liability issues first and workforce reduction second. It's just another mechanism that causes jobs to evaporate. I'll be interested in seeing if employment rates ever really recover in the US. I don't see how that will occur given that all the current trends are working against it.

I was pleased to read that for the first time, US cars are getting higher marks for initial quality than foreign ones.

"For the first time ever, J.D. Power and Associates has rated U.S.-brand vehicles higher than import brands in its prestigious annual Initial Quality Study. The study - now in its 24th year - is taken as the standard by which foreign and domestic cars are judged in the auto industry and is frequently cited in ads."

It only took half a century for us to catch up. There's still hope left.

I'll bet Toyota's runaway cars had something to do with it. BP's troubles seem to have helped take the heat off Toyoto. I shudder to think what will take the heat off BP in the same way.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I think there are officially more than two genders now. I suspect that's why many are living solo - can't find a matching gender to hook up with.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Kewl. Unlike the Kill O Watt, it won't lose the accumulated readings if the power fails. I think I'll go look for one on Ebay.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

A couple days ago, the Public Service Commission in Maryland refused some electric company permission to put in meters that would enalbe billing by time-of-day.

The electric co. spokesman said that each homeowner would save 1400 over the life of, or some period of time, and the meters were only 200 dollar so it was a good deal. So I guess the customer would have to pay the 200. That must be why the PSC said no.

We do have electronic meters that be read from their office, but I can see how this would have to be fancier.

Reply to
mm

The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

The utilities report excessive usage to the police who then check for pot growing which uses a lot of power.

Reply to
Tekkie®

BTW, "gender" is a characteristic of language, and IIRC, some have as many as seven.

Reply to
Sam E

You're thinking of cases (e.g. nominative, predicative, possessive, etc.). Russian, Latin, and Polish have seven cases, German four, English three.

No language I'm aware of has more than three genders: masculine, feminine, and neuter.

Reply to
Doug Miller

You haven't been studying U.S. bureaucratize.

We have (at least) male, female, gay, lesbian, and various incarnations of "transgender."

Reply to
HeyBub

I forgot where I first heard about that, but searching the internet quickly found Polish at

.

Reply to
Sam E

Cheaper, late night pricing could be nice!

Couple of minor points; our meter reader says he's supposed, at the moment to be able to sit in his car out in thstreet and read meter remotely. Doesn't always work and he has to walk to nearer the meter!

Secondly; sending the info via the electric power lines is being banned in some countries because it can cause serious interference to radio communications. The effect will vary from area to area depending on the amount of radio broadcasting, off the air TV etc. But some years ago a Civil Defense exercise in Austria had to be cancelled because 'Power Line carrier/digital' signals disrupted the radio signals to ambulances! For meters the alternatives may be the inter- net or your phone line (if you still have one!).

Reply to
terry

It's incorrect in at least one major respect: there are *not* seven genders in Polish as claimed. Only three. The masculine gender is further subdivided, making distinctions between persons and animate and inanimate objects, making five gender "classes" in all, but only three genders -- not seven.

The article also refers to Polish pronunciation as "very difficult"; I disagree. Polish pronunciation and spelling follow regular rules, and I found it much easier to learn to pronounce Polish correctly than French.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Is there a politically correct bureaucratize description for "pecker head"? :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

My gas meter is inside - pipe comes in underground. Just about all installations are like this in the northeast.

Water is also all inside.

Electricity depends. Older installations are inside. Newer ones are typically outside.

Reply to
blueman

Not true. Our gas meters were outside.

Yes, with a remote digital display outside.

Where "newer" =3D >fifty years.

Reply to
keith

He still can. Even if the water and gas go the way of electric, he can still go door-to-door reading them.

Might see something interesting.

Reply to
HeyBub