Electric meter replaced

My electricity meter was replaced yesterday as it was 10 years old. They replaced the electronic one with the flashing LED with the old clockwork thing (reconditioned with 69000 on the clock) saying that this one would last 20 years. The fitter also said he would change some cables - which seemed a bit strange to me. Anyway he removed the red (line) wire ok but was unable to undo the neutral terminal in the suppliers fuse - been undisturbed for precisely 40 years. I left him hammering the screwdriver... A photo (angle restricted) of part of the "improvement" is at:-

incoming wires are to the left of the meter.

Even if he had succeeded in replacing both 9" lengths of wire, what would be the point when, post-meter, the cable was still the old size?

Reply to
Geo

From the photo it looks as though: He is replacing single insulated cable with double - to modern standards? He is replacing tails with 40 year old insulation - probably required to do this anyway, rather than assess it's state, 40 year old stuff needs replacing as a given. He is replacing stuff that's easier to tamper with (large croc clips anyone) with tough stuff that isn't - sign of the times

I would have been suprised if he hadn't replaced them!

Reply to
Bob Mannix