door swings

I just finished some remodeling where a contractor had to install a couple of prehung doors. He apparently didn't install them completely level and plumb because the swing open if they're not closed tight, so you can't leave the doors open a little bit. Is there a way short of ripping the doors out so that the doors will not swing?
Andy
Why not have the hack fix it. Take out a hing pin and bend it a little.

talk about a hack!
Take the hinge pins out, lay them on their side on a hard surface and tap them firmly with a hammer to put an ever so slight bend in them. Don't over do it. Put them back and the friction from the bent pin will stop the door from swinging.

I had to do that a two doors in my house- it works fine.
Doc
Recall contractor to hang doors properly, simple task if not screwed up badly. Seamus J. Wilson

I have read that you can remove one of the hinge pins, bend it slightly and that will cause enough friction to cause the door not to swing open or closed without help.
Best regards,

Frankly the contractor needs to fix the error. However he will not want to and will likely just do the bent pin trick that works, sort of. I like it done right, but in real life you don't always get right.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

i agree...there is only so much play in a prehung split jam unit to play with....and gaps between the trim and finished wall that result from trying to "compensate" for an out of plumb wall are worse than a door that likes to swing a bit....(IMHO)
I would say it is still the contractor's job to get the door right. Even a second rate contractor should know enough under the circumstances to use the bent pin trick to hide the problem.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
There are several doors with the same problem that were installed in existing walls, but one is on a wall that the contractor installed.

If this is a prehung door check the way the hinges are installed into the mortise in both the door and jamb. I have seen these not installed correct from the factory. Need to make sure all hinges are fit into there mortise correctly. Easy fix any way. No reason to take entire door back out.

If contractor wont correct problem pull hinge pin and put slight bend in it by laying on cement and tapping with hammer to put slight bend in it.
On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 13:38:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@econ.sas.upenn.edu wrote:

what a bunch of hacks in here. "bend the pin a little" what a crock!
the O.P. PAID someone to install a "new" door and all of you insist on him/her bending the hinge pin. gives a whole new meaning to AHR (Alternate Hack Repair)
TO THE O.P. TRY TAPPING THE JAMB WITH A BLOCK AND HAMMER. if the door is closing by itself tap (whack) the bottom of the jamb.
(until the door is plumb in both directions) then install 1 longer screw in each hinge. (a couple of finish nails may be necessary)
FYI
bending the pin will cause heat build up from friction and will cause black dust to leak out of the jamb in time. (causing a mess on the paint or stain) it is a temporary fix ................but NOT a solution!