Door sizes

Page 3 of 3
On Mon, 29 Feb 2016 09:18:29 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

I think he is talking about the door panel itself and all of the ones I measured here are a half inch smaller than the nominal size. That includes original 55 year old doors in this house, some 20 years old and one that is only a few years old.

If (new) doors -- prehung or slabs -- are 36 inches wide, then I have to replace the jamb. And, that might entail changes to the buck, as well.
So, knowing EXACTLY how wide a door is becomes an important detail.
On Monday, February 29, 2016 at 12:30:08 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I agree that he is *talking* about the panel itself, but the question is: "What does he want to buy/replace?"
Who knows what his RO is like. For all we/he knows, the current door is simply what was put in but maybe not the optimal solution for his RO. He even hinted at that in is OP. Or maybe there is something weird regarding his current jamb or installation such that knowing only the panel measurement may not be all that is needed.
If the goal is to buy a pre-hung door, then the RO measurement is the place to start, not wasting time determining if a 36" door is actually 35.5".
Take the RO measurements to the dealer, along with anything else specific to his exact situation and find out what door is the best choice. As so many people like to say in this group, it's not rocket science.
You did check your tape against a known good one, right?
On Monday, February 29, 2016 at 12:18:33 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

+1

half an inch to 36!)
On 02/29/2016 11:24 AM, Don Y wrote:

Because the contention they're _all_ "nominal less half" is simply not so...some prehungs are less-quarter and it's certainly possible to buy and find full-width door slabs which will have finished openings "nominal plus" clearance rather than the door being smaller.
The "less-half" varietal is probably the most common of new units available now, but it isn't unique and certainly wasn't in the past, either.

On 2/28/2016 8:12 PM, Don Y wrote:

This website has a lot of good information: http://www.howelumber.com/faq_orderingdoors.php
On 2/29/2016 10:14 AM, Bennett Price wrote:

Excellent! Thanks!
Though this was discouraging: "There are still plenty of homes that were built in the age of full sized lumber. These are the ones that are fun to fix-up." ----------------------------------------------^^^
I guess the author and I have different ideas of "fun"...
On 2/28/2016 11:12 PM, Don Y wrote:

Both are correct for the given situation.
If you are actually considering a new door the best idea is to have the place that you intend to purchase the door have their guy come out and measure. Most will charge for this but if you make the door purchase with them they will deduct that charge from the purchase price and order (or take from stock if you are lucky) a door to suit your needs. A mistake in measurement by you *will* be expensive. If they make a measuring mistake then the onus on them.
If you just want to take a flyer and 'do-it-yourself' then also consider door height, left or right swing, hinge size and location and boring the door for lockset and dead bolt yourself or having that done for you.
Good luck, John
On 2/29/2016 4:43 PM, John wrote:

Hiring it out will get pricey. The buck will have to be replaced (to use a COTS door) *or*, a custom door ordered, *or* a custom jamb, etc.
In either case, we're looking at a fair bit of labor (time) and folks tend not to like to work for free (or, for the sale of the door)

I'd originally considered just replacing with a prehung -- to eliminate all the "fitting". But, the RO isn't wide enough to "simply" do so.
The next alternative was to leave the frame in place and swap the slab out. This would require drilling the door to fit MY frame (so, I don't save much on labor -- except I no longer have to remove the frame!)
But, the 35.5" confounds on that score -- unless I start inspecting individual prehung offerings hoping to find a 35.5" door that I can REMOVE from its frame and coerce into *my* frame! Then, I've got a 35.5" door drilled for *it's* prehung frame that I have to HOPE I can fit to my EXISTING frame.
(too many things have to fall into place for this to be a joyous outcome)
On 03/01/2016 9:52 AM, Don Y wrote: ...

Ah, we're finally getting down to cases...have you actually determined the RO dimensions and if so, what are they?
On 3/1/2016 9:09 AM, dpb wrote:

Hey, I'm out of here. As I said upthread, I have no desire to play data collection grunt for armchair, remote "pondering" as to how I should proceed.
Thanks for your time but the question asked has been answered. I can now look at ALL of my options and sort out how best for me to proceed without "try this" sort of advice.
[No, I don't care to explain all the OTHER options that I have so someone else can comment on how appropriate they may or may not be.]
Sorry, I don't mean to be "short" and I appreciate the comments -- from all. But, these things tend to drag on BEYOND what is necessary (at least what's necessary for *me* to sort out how to proceed).
On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 11:10:20 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

Now you've done it! You've asked for pertinent information when he has explicitly stated that he does not want to answer any questions not directly related to nominal vs. actual width of door slabs.
Are you trying to start a fight or something? ;-)