Door Bell Problem

My front door bell button rang the chime, but did not light up. I purchased a new door bell button. I had it hooked up, it worked (rang and lit up). But, I forgot to put the decorative plate on it, so I had to disconnect it to put the button inside of the plate before attaching the button to the wall.
Here is the problem: It lights up now, but the doorbell only rings one short ding, instead of the full westminster chime.
The back door button does the same thing now. But, that is probably would should happen because they are both using the same wire.
Is it possible I got a faulty new door bell button? Do I need a new door bell?
What did I do wrong?
Many thanks.
Kate
On 11/13/2012 7:52 PM, Kate wrote:

Remove the wires from the door bell button and touch them together.
Do you get a short ding or the full Westminster chime?

Been a while but typically there are two connections on the bell housing itself. One (the back door) yields a single ding. the other which should be connected to the froun door will yield the westminster chime.
It would seem that the connections at the door bell itself may be the problem and yes you may need a new bell system (BTDT)

Some of these require a DIODE to be wired into the switch. There may have been a diode in the old switch? Do you still have the old switch?
Read the wiring directions for the chime.
The following shows what a diode looks like and note it HAS to be wired the correct direction...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode