Door bell problem

Replaced old door bell with an electronic chime type system. New system requires that you attach a diode across the button terminals on the front door. Problem is that chimes play continuously when diode is installed. (either way) If diode is not installed chime only rings as long as button is pushed. Any ideas. Old system is 1975 vintage.

Reply to
Dave

Model and make of new chime?

Reply to
avid_hiker

The control unit might be expecting ½ wave rectification so try using one of the terminals on the switch and one of the wires. You might have to reverse the diode connection but it's better than the half cycle completion of a circuit you are achieving now.

Bill

Reply to
Berkshire Bill

Installed a new door chime in place of old system. New system requires a diode across front door button terminals. Chime rings continuously when diode is installed in either direction. Without diode bell works fine as long as you hold in button. Back door works also as long as you hold in button. Any suggestions?

Dave

Reply to
dhaas007

Heath \\Zenith LE 65 A

It appears that diode completes circuit by itself. Doesn't make any difference which way it is installed. I get a spark and the unit plays. Could it be transformer voltage is too high. I couldn't check since it is under house. Well... I could but Im old. :)

Reply to
dhaas007

Voltage at the terminals is the interesting one, anyway. Only the voltage drop from the xfr terminals to the doorbell is the difference. Other thought would be if (as it sounds like) the xfr you're using isn't the one supplied for the new chimes, temporarily hook it up and see if symptoms are different (like it then works correctly).

Reply to
dpb

Test the diode, either with an ohmmeter or by substitution. You may have blown it by accident and it is now "punched through" and conducts in both directions.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Nevermind. I fixed it. Don't ask what stupid thing I was doing.

Reply to
dhaas007

Did you pull a General Ripper?

Reply to
HeyBub

What stupid thing were you doing?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Lewis

Actually let us know, we all have done stupid, ignorant things on home projects and will laugh with you not at you. To paraphrase the Bible, let him who has not messed up a project be the first to criticize.

Reply to
Jeff

It's late to be pounced on here; people do like to read the solutions to posts, and appreciate them.

-- Oren

Oren

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i12g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Oh come-ooooon!!!! Give it up to us. What stupid thing I was you doing?

I have never done anything stupid.

Reply to
Al Bundy