door bell keeps ringing (2023 Update)

I had a light doorbell. The button broke but still worked. I replaced with a new lighted button. Door bell continues to ring once wires attached and button does not light. I returned to store suspecting a faulty button. New lighted button does the same thing. No light and bell rings continuously. Not sure where to go next. Should I switch to non lighted button. Old button is only 6 years old

Reply to
Anonymous

It sounds like there may be an issue with your doorbell wiring or transformer. Here are the steps you can take to troubleshoot:

  1. Verify the voltage of your doorbell transformer. Use a voltage tester to see if it's providing enough power to the doorbell. If the voltage is too low, replace the transformer.
  2. Check the wiring. Make sure the wiring is properly connected and not damaged. If the wiring is damaged, it can cause the doorbell to ring continuously.
  3. Try a different doorbell button. If the new lighted button is also not working, it may not be a problem with the button, but rather with the wiring or transformer.

If you're handy with electrical work, you may be able to diagnose and fix the issue yourself. If not, it's best to call an electrician.

Here is a list of tools you may need:

  • Voltage tester
  • Screwdriver
  • Wire stripper