door bell not ringing

Page 2 of 2
On 12/19/2010 8:23 PM, cjt wrote:

For that matter, doorbells generally work on less than 24 volts. The 24 volt system is for the HVAC controls.

You're right. It's not neon. Still, it has a fairly high resistance and the rest of what I said is true.
I didn't say 24 volts.

I don't remember this ever happening, but if the switch could oxidize, I suppose most of the bare wire could oxidize. Not the part that is not open to the air when the screws were tightened, but it coudl work out, I suppose, that when you rub the wires together, you won't make good contact between them. If you have a hard time making the bell ring, scrape the bare wires with a knife** until a good portion of them are shiny. YOu should do that anyhow before you attach the new switch. (If you could shine up the part of the swith that makes contact, you wouldn't need a new switch either.)
**I have a friend who uses sandpaper to clean wires, but he's not very good at home repair, despite owning a home for 30 years, so I don't know whether to recommend that or not.

As posted earlier, our doorbell did not work for years. We made the kids stand outside in case someone came to the door and they would alert us. No, we did not make them stay out al the time, they came in to use the bathroom. They took turns for meals.
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 23:04:52 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"

But the OP doesn't even let his button come it to eat or use the bathroom.

The answer is ; go to Home Depot and buy a wireless doorbell!
Dan wrote:

Very nice solution!
Instead of checking a button once in several years, we replace it by a battery problem every few months, and waterdamaged electronics every two years........
On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 18:23:41 +0100, Sjouke Burry

Perhaps the second most useless bit of "technology" feisted upon us in the last 10 years.

I just love when the regulars argue. The threads can get so long.
Shorting the wires is a quick easy test.
Checking the label of the chimes is sound advice.
Please do put us all out of misery by letting us know the cause or we could be debating this next year at this time.
--
Colbyt
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 21:36:15 -0500, "Colbyt"

I sincerely doubt it is a "specification" issue - the OP said it "stopped working", which would indicate it WAS working a short while ago, and nothing has been changed in the installation.