doggie door

Page 1 of 2
I have gotten some very good advice on this group, and I thank them for it. I do have a favor to ask. My wife wants me to put in a doggie door from the living area to the outside, not just from the garage. We have 6 months of winter, and 6 months of summer, so I need a good quality airtight type doggie door. Any suggestions will be appreciated. thx

My experiences with about six doggie doors: There are no airtight doggie doors. The next best thing is two doors that are separated by at least three feet, as one would have in a porch or enclosed foyer situation.
Steve

Correct, there is no airtight doors, altho keeping the sun off the flap helps it to maintain it's shape. Add some astro turf inside the two doors. That will help clean their feet. And the first time it's too cold, too hot or raining, guess where they'll do their business. So be ready for a bit of training.

I haven't looked at them myself- but I would certainly check out the doors with electronic locks so only *your* dog can use it. Even if the neighbor's dog doesn't wander into your yard, there are curious squirrels, possums and raccoons who do.
I have never seen one that said 'designed for northern climates' so I suspect you will have a cold spot wherever you put it.
Jim
on 7/17/2009 12:33 AM (ET) nefletch wrote the following:

Train the dog to let you know when it has to go out. When it lets you know, get up and let it out. A doggie door is also a raccoon and other animal door, and has been used by burglars to unlock doors.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

have had doggie doors for 13? years, over 12 for sure with a fenced in yard.
they come and go as they want, and go out top go pottie even if we dont get home. best thing I ever added here.
there are double seal doors but having them go thru 2 doors is better.
racoons etc avoid our yard, and dont leave food outdoors to attract them
-snip-

I forgot about that one. A couple was arrested this week. They had been using their 11 yr old to gain entrance to houses through doggie doors for 5-6 years.
Google 'doggie door burglary' for some eye opening stories and videos.
Jim

When I got my new house I made sure the laundry room had an outside door so I could put in a doggie door and, if they were muddy etc, they would at least have a place to enter the house before they got to the carpet. After a lot of consideration I have not yet installed a doggie door. I just figure that we'd end up with rats, squirrels, rattlesnakes, spiders, and who knows what else (coyotes maybe) in the house.
I'm kinda surprised that there are many burglaries via doggie doors. Don't most doggie doors have a dog on the other side of them? I'd also think that many, if not most, dogs would be likely to attack a kid coming through the doggie door.
Ulysses wrote:

Wouldn't a big enough dog discourage raccoons, squirrels, sheep, and similar?

Yea, but the dog has to be there at the right time. Sheep might have a little trouble sneaking in but mice seem to be waiting for someone to open the regular door so I figure a doggie door would be too easy.

never had a mouse leak in, although our dog susie would take care of all intruders

"Our dog loves the flavor of fresh burglars."

re: "Train the dog to let you know when it has to go out"
We have a bell hanging from the handle of our sliding door to the deck. The cat rings it when she wants to go out. Might work for a dog also. (It's kind of fun to ignore it sometimes. She'll actually hit it harder if we don't move quick enough.)
When she wants to come in, she jumps up on the screen* and drops to the deck. We hear the thump and let her in. That could be an issue for a dog.
When we put the dogs out front on the leash, they'll drag their claws down the bottom panel of the aluminum storm door when they want to come back in. You can't miss that racket! We can usually tell when they want to go out, so we don't need a bell. Besides, they get walked regularly, so the "out-front leash time" is more for just hanging out.
* We use the pet-proof screening. The cat has been doing this for over 2 years and there is not one imperfection showing on the material.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Do you have this problem?
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/funny-pictures-cat-asks-you-to-open-door.jpg

I'll have to wait until I get home to see what you've offered...corporate servers with content blockers, etc.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

What kind of cruel corporation blocks pictures of cats with funny captions?

Yeah, that's an occasional issue, but more annoying is when she follows you into the garage or up the deck or porch stairs so you can let her in just so she can walk across the house to some other door so you can let her out.
She has literally - many, many times - done nothing more than walk in the front and right out the back. I guess it's shorter than going *around* the house!
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Methinks that in their tiny little cat minds, outside via front door and outside via back door, lead to two different places. I've lived with several cats over the years, and a couple of them would only use one door to go in and out, even if you happened to be at the other end of the house in front of the other door. They all would vocalize to get out, and being a non-catbox house, you ignored their request at your peril. As soon as a human would stand up, they would lead them to the door THEY wanted to go out of, looking over their shoulder the whole way, to make sure their staff-with-opposable-thumbs was following them.
Now of course if they were staring out a window right before demanding to be let out, you also had to look out the window to see what they were staring at. Had one cat that liked to hunt rabbits from inside, and it always got pissed off if you flipped on outside lights and made a racket opening the door, to scare the bunny off, before you let it out.
-- aem sends...

There's all kinds of considerations to be made, i.e. if your property looks wealthy and you have a large dog, the door could get you burgled in some areas.
I gotta piddlin' little bungalow in a densely populated part of a midwest US city, have kept spaniel-size hunting dogs for years, doggie door installed in an old wood storm door in back. About 23 years and the only thing "foreign" thru the door was the neighbors cat (once only). A few 'possums, a very rare racoon, and a zillion gray squirrels in the neighborhood, sometimes in the yard.
nefletch wrote:

Doggie doors belong on doggie houses.