doggie door

"benick" wrote in news:Wu-dnetQMoDOr_zXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@neonova.net:

My dog came and told me she wanted to go out. She'd just come over and stare at me and I knew what she wanted. Of course, I'd ask, "do you want to go out?". If she ran to the back door, that was my answer and I let her out. Sometimes if I slept late, she'd come over and stare at me until I woke up.

On a few occasions I didn't want her running outside, such as when some jerk came to the door. She was very pretty and didn't scare people in person. But she had a big boy-dog bark that sounded ferocious. She'd run to the door and scare the heck out of people on the other side.

IMHO the doggie doors are a PIA.

Reply to
Marina

Think cat - the self-cleaning pet.

Reply to
HeyBub

We consider our recently installed doggy-door to be one of the best purchases we have ever made. Better than having a kid move out IMO.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

Get an electric opener for the door with a button the dog can push with his nose. Then he can open the door and go in and out as he wishes but other animals can't. He can be trained to do this.

Reply to
Hipupchuck

they have automated versions of this, pet wears a special collar that unlocks door.

having had multiple dogs over last 12 years the doggie door is awesome.......

no worry of getting home late pet must be let out etc. its all automatic.

we have gone on vacation for a week without concerns, just have a friend check food and water daily.

Reply to
bob haller

Yeah, that's an occasional issue, but more annoying is when she follows you into the garage or up the deck or porch stairs so you can let her in just so she can walk across the house to some other door so you can let her out.

She has literally - many, many times - done nothing more than walk in the front and right out the back. I guess it's shorter than going

*around* the house!
Reply to
DerbyDad03

Methinks that in their tiny little cat minds, outside via front door and outside via back door, lead to two different places. I've lived with several cats over the years, and a couple of them would only use one door to go in and out, even if you happened to be at the other end of the house in front of the other door. They all would vocalize to get out, and being a non-catbox house, you ignored their request at your peril. As soon as a human would stand up, they would lead them to the door THEY wanted to go out of, looking over their shoulder the whole way, to make sure their staff-with-opposable-thumbs was following them.

Now of course if they were staring out a window right before demanding to be let out, you also had to look out the window to see what they were staring at. Had one cat that liked to hunt rabbits from inside, and it always got pissed off if you flipped on outside lights and made a racket opening the door, to scare the bunny off, before you let it out.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

On another note; Why have animals if they are alone all the time? I do not have animals nor do I miss them. These compassion neurotics cause animal loneliness for nothing.

Reply to
Hipupchuck

if the people who post negative about pet doors trierd one for awhile they would like them too

Reply to
bob haller

I agree...Now that we have an empty nest and the wife is back at work (used to be a stay at home mom)we no longer have a pet since our last dog passed on...It would be alone 8-10 hours a day...Not fair to the pet....

Another pet peeve of mine is job site mutts...Some IDIOTS think it is ok to bring their mutt to the jobsite to be under foot and beg for food at lunch and break or even steal your lunch if you leave it where said mutt can get it...They think everyone on the job will look out for their mutt...A MAJOR PITA...Leave them home....

Reply to
benick

Agreed on the pets for people that aren't at home most of the time- unless you have a huge yard and an outside pen, and multiple animals so they can socialize, it isn't fair to the animal. As to the job site mutts- let the boss wearing the tie and/or the insurance company guy and/or the DOL safety inspector be the bad guy. Having a dog around when you are using power tools or heavy equipment or chemicals, or even just standing up a wall, is like having a toddler around. They don't mean to cause harm, to themselves or others, but they are curious and/or bored. The animal will get hurt at some point, or cause a worker to get hurt tripping over it or watching out for it. The guy that signs the checks should be told, and signs posted if necessary. Of course, if the guy that signs the checks is the one bringing the dog, you are probably SOL.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Not a problem on jobsites that the guy that signs the check wears a tie...It's the residential sites where a gray longhaired hippy or other lib moonbat is in charge of building a house for another moonbat which is pretty common here in The Peoples Republic of Maine...They think it's so cool and complaints get met with frowns and I'm called a animal hater even if bitching while trying to clean dog shit out of the deep treads of work boots...As is the case with all libs...Disagree and you're a hater/bigot...And I'm SOL , but it helps to rant once in a while..LOL...

Reply to
benick

We have almost always had more thjan one dog, I am self employeed so around a good bit.

Better the dogs can get outdoors when they want with their playmates, watch the wildlife, like rabbits on other side of fence and neighbor kids come to visit.

with at least 2 dogs they are never bored but always happy to see us come home

Reply to
bob haller

I agree. A local car repair shop person brings his dog to work. Nuts.

Reply to
Hipupchuck

Tell her to get off her ass and just let the dam dog go take a shit. JUST KIDDING !!! Jerry

Jerry - OHIO