Does coating stranded copper wire with solder cause any issues or break any codes?

Page 7 of 9

Not only correct but the only way to go in many cases... it seems most on the NG are house wiring guys and applying NEC as they see it in homes etc...but not of course in the industrial markets.
. In corrosive environments, stranded wire will corrode into the crimmped terminal and around the wire, insulating the wire from the terminal slightly causing it to burn, then fail.. thats common.
Accordingly battery cable manufacturers most often solder their wire into the crimped terminal ends.
This practice is seen pervasively in marine environments on both low amperage control circuits, and on power circuits.
Use of solder on power circuit terminals however has many problems, namely the solder melting out of the joint if the wire warms too much...and extrusion of the solder under compressive stress if screw connectors are used.. the military specs some are referring to cover that aspect... but not the other aspects.
Use of solder in an already crimped terminal serves to increase the electrical contact area, thats good, and to preclude corrosive gases, vapors and oils from the joint (by wicking up the bare wire).... that is seen commonly be the cause of failure in those situations.
For the last 100 years... and currently.... most if not all controls systems and component manufacturers dip wire ends in solder that are to be fit under screw head connectors... the practice is at least 90% common.... thats with *control circuits.
The practice is not common with power circuits for the reasons mentioned but is still seen in some situations (primarily corrosive environments... anyone can purchase NEC approved soldered connectors of course for those purposes... those are also pervasively common, especially in the electronics industry.)
Phil Scott Mechanical/ Electrical engineer and industrial controls contractor since 1852 (I'm very old)
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:50:22 -0800, "Phil Scott"

What a silly thing to say.

Not true. In corrosive environments (like your marine scenario) standard non-gas tight connectors are not spec'd. If they are used, they will corrode. A gas tight connector must be used, and that too, would NOT require any solder.

The huge crimped terminal on a commercial battery cable is NOT a gsa tight termination. What does get used gets soldered because that is the only way they can give the termination SOME life span.

Yet not seen in ANY marine environment where the proper fittings are used. Most consumer level crap won't have such overtly expensive hardware in it, hence the "workaround", with solder.

If the wire warms to the melt point temperature of solder, then there is a much larger underlying problem with the circuit or the wiring design. NO circuit wiring should EVER rise to that temperature in ANY non fault mode of operation. EVER.

It is not referred to as extrusion, it is called CREEP.

The military were the inventors of the gas tight crimped connection.

If the connection is gas tight, it will be vapor and liquid tight as well. If it is not made using gas tight methods, then it is open to a host of problems. Many of which solder still does not fix or address.

It varies from product producer to product producer as some of them conform tightly to proper manufacturing specs and some do not. That doesn't make those that do not "most if not all".

None of those will be crimp style connectors. It is either a solder terminal or a crimp terminal... not both.
Hey Roy... the money is on the professional end of the market... professional behavior will get you there... here in SF a good controls electrician can earn 80 dollars an hour... a house wiring guy maybe 20 max.
In your area is probably a similar situation... you have a chance to learn and advance and have the money to buy hot cars and houses etc.
You would find that way in life ends better all around than the option you are demonsrating.
Best,
Phil Scott
message

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 15:10:34 -0800, "Phil Scott"

I don't need a seminar about professionalism from a fucking retard that doesn't even know how to refrain from top posting in Usenet.

You're an idiot. This entire thread has NOTHING to do with "a house wiring guy". Stop ringing your own bell, dipshit. You ain't "all that".

My god, you are one retarded fuck.

You couldn't assess what is said in these groups if your life depended on it, you fucking know nothing retarded bastard.
The fact that you requoted the entire post under the total tripe you wrote proves that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-post
Read the part just after the beginning marked "TOFU".
You need to learn how to conform to the conventions of this group you so readily invade, you stupid fuck.
Roy L. Fuchs wrote:

Is one of the conventions to abuse people you don't agree with? If so, we need to rework those conventions.
Gave us:

goddamned retard that has never been in Usenet before.
If you had half a brain, you would be able to see that they have been just as abusive. Just because someone doesn't have the balls to use an expletive doesn't mean that they aren't spouting insults.
Then there is the issue of them not knowing what the fuck they are talking about. Where are your posts to them for the same thing, and those from you to them about how stupid their knowledge of electronics is?
Also, this groups isn't about agreeing with someone. It is a very technical group, and their FUD doers nothing to help that. One doesn't foist one's retarded opinions on a group that is about facts.
Tell us, oh guru of knowledge... where do electrons flow in a wire?
It is either FACT or FUD, and his bullshit is FUD.

"When it seems all around you have gone mad, they need to bring you the men in white coats."
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:58:51 -0000, "Billy H"

And refers to the operation of a circuit as "somebody should charge you at 20 Amps..."
You are a brainless twit, at best.
Gave us:

And it is you who try to teach us the conventions? I just hope there are not too many susceptible children learning these conventions from you. Maybe you have a pact with some anti-social gathering, what kind of rebel are you? Do you plan to use your 'knowledge' of electrical engineering to melt the White House? Maybe you plan to cause a short circuit in the Pentagon's power lines and run in shouting 'The President is a fucktard retarded stupid dick' while kicking your legs around and waving a copy of some goofy comic book like Viz around in the hope the Civil Servants will succumb to your superior iuntelligence and wisdom and give you control of the Senate and also the job of rewiring the place. With luck someone will plug that 4000 volt cable you have shoved up your arse into a supply cable capable of charging you with 20 amps. lol, I just hope they publish the pictures when they do.
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:56:15 -0000, "Billy H"

All one paragraph? You're an idiot. I hope you are not trying to teach your kids anything about the english language, jackass.
"iuntelligence"? WTF is that, asswipe?
You also show your knowledge of electronics to be about nil.
"charging with 20 Amps"???
You're an idiot.
Gave us:

http://www.cybernothing.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq.html
Go spit your dummy elsewhere.
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 18:27:05 -0000, "Billy H"

Thing is, you're an idiot guilty of much of those items yourself, dipshit.
Gave us:

Ah, but I do it so much better and with so much more well founded reason.
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 18:48:21 -0000, "Billy H"

Could you two please start over again at the beginning? I've completely lost track of which one is the idiot.
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 18:48:21 -0000, "Billy H"

A piece of shit like you wouldn't know what well founded was if it bit you in the ass. From the moment you chimed into this thread, you have been wrong.
Gave us:

Ah, but I do it so much better and with so much more well founded reason.
OK, so it looks like what I did is not good (soldering the stranded wire before connecting it to the screw terminals on the outlets). However, instead of changing all the wire or getting outlets that work better with stranded wire, can I solder on connectors like these:
http://www.horseguardfence.com/imgcom/59g_and_wire.jpg
And then connect these to the screw terminals on the outlets? Can I just solder these on or is there any special crimping that needs to be done to these? Do I need a special crimping tool or are these usually made to work with normal pliers.
Thanks, Harry
: OK, so it looks like what I did is not good (soldering the stranded : wire before connecting it to the screw terminals on the outlets). : However, instead of changing all the wire or getting outlets that work : better with stranded wire, can I solder on connectors like these: : :
http://www.horseguardfence.com/imgcom/59g_and_wire.jpg
: : And then connect these to the screw terminals on the outlets? Can I : just solder these on or is there any special crimping that needs to be : done to these? Do I need a special crimping tool or are these usually : made to work with normal pliers. : : Thanks, : Harry :
IMO, all the same problems will still be present, even more-so, since with that, there is no J or shepherd's hook to help hold the wire in place.
If you can't cut/restrip the wires, FWIW, I think I'd simply pick up a cheap solder-sucker (spring type, not squeeze-bulb), and clean as much solder off as possible. Then using a moistened cloth, heat/remove the rest of the tin coat as much as possible and put it back under the screws. Watch out for melting the insulation! The idea is to remove as much of the contact area solder as possible. Wrap it on the screws & thightten. Info is provided "as is" and with no guarantee of being acceptable or functional.
Personally, I'd cut/restrip the wires - and use a crimp-on sized/made for the wires for connection. At the moment, that soundss easiest/best to me, at least.
Pop
Gave us:

That is the first correct thing you have said, and that only because it is about what YOU said.
Could someone provide a link to a picture of what I should be using ... ie: what the crimp-on connector looks like?
Thanks, Harry