Denver Collects Fines On Drivers Who Stop At Red Lights

Page 3 of 4

Both of those applications are far different than Big Brother watching.

You've never crossed the line? If the yellow was a bit short, the guy had a tailgater he was trying to avoid, a distraction by another car, are all reasons you may slip a bit over the line. I guess it is better to just keep going as long as you'll be paying anyway. screw safety, get your money's worth.

(sigh) Yeah Ed, I have.
I also occasionally exceed the speed limit, even with the cruise control engaged, and I sometimes park further than 18" from the curb and have even been known to let my parking meter expire (gasp!). But, it's damn rare cuz I treat driving as a full-time job requiring my full focus, not a sideline activity requiring only occasional attention, like so many other drivers. And, if it should occur, I got no bitch if I get nailed, do I? A tailgater or short yellow lights are bogus excuses. If yer paying attention and know yer business, you slow down even further back from the stop line or pull over to let the jerk pass you. You should also know where the short yellows are or at least assume that one might occur. Anticipating poor drivers and bad conditions is part of being a good driver.
nb
On 11/4/2011 6:41 PM, notbob wrote:

Holy crap. When I took my drivers test in PA we had to parallel park within 6" of the curb. It was later changed to 12". Over 18" from the curb? I just checked PA and it's still 12" but sure enough it is up to 18" here in TN. I'd be embarrassed to leave a vehicle sticking out more than about 10".

A car is a piece of cake. Try parallel parking a Toyota mini-motorhome, sometime. ;)
nb
On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 19:32:18 -0400, Tony Miklos

It is a skill that takes practice. When I lived in Philly, I could parallel park in a spot an inch longer than my car. Now, I can go months and not have to park at a curb. I do OK, but not as good as I used to. It was a matter of survival if you wanted to park on the streets.

Performance enhancing beverages help in so many ways!

I disagree. This is another case of big govt screwing the citizens. Every prosecutor has discretion in determining charges to bring. For the police to be ticketing drivers because their front wheel just touches the white stop line is an abuse of power.
Also, I fail to see the slam against the media. It is a worthwhile and important story. Should not the people be aware of it, so that it will not happen to them? Isn't the purported claim of the police that this is being done for safety? If that's true, then it's important to get the message out, is it not?
As to the safety issue, it's been shown in city after city that these cameras have done nothing for safety. Many cities, like LA, are taking them out. So, there the citizens got screwed twice. Once by paying to put them in, then again by paying to take them out. And then those unfortunate enough to get a ticket got screwed a third time, because the cameras were ruled illegal and unenforceable in court, though most who got the tickets paid them.
Denver Collects Fines On Drivers Who Stop At Red Lights:

Well said.

The drivers cited have nothing to complain about. They broke the law -- period. The lines on the road are there for a purpose.
Too bad that doesn't catch on throughout the rest of the country.
Gordon Shumway wrote:

They also need to ticket people who do that at stop signs, too.
Driving isn't a joke, and it isn't a game. Follow the rules or get off the road.
Jon
On 11/4/2011 9:56 AM, Home Guy wrote:

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2011/11/03/denver-collects-fines-on-drivers-who-stop-at-red-lights /
Good!!
Great!!!!

It is about money, not justice.

I'll still put my money on money. Going 6" over the line is not very dangerous, but not paying $75 hurts the system.
On 11/04/2011 10:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It's not very dangerous, but there has to be a definition of where to stop; to borrow a phrase, you have to draw a line somewhere.
The state of competence among American drivers, at least around here is shockingly bad - most people seem to feel the way you do about slightly crossing the white line about other "minor" infractions like not signaling, not using mirrors, forcing their way into another lane when it's occupied by other traffic, turning into the wrong lane, etc. etc. etc... unfortunately the only law that seems to be enforced is speeding.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Don't you need a license to sling that much cognitive dissonance?
You have tickets for failure to obey a highway sign, and a cracked windshield.
And, of course, you have cited these same motorists to be "perfectly safe" at 80 mph, ad nauseum.
And, you're in a RLC thread.
You appear to be in the final stages of entirely disconnecting from reality. ----- - gpsman
On 11/05/2011 09:37 AM, gpsman wrote:

that would be "speeding"
and a cracked

In my current state of residence, that windshield would be perfectly legal, and in any state it was safe. I was also cited literally days after the crack occurred.

No, I stated that 80 MPH on an interstate highway was perfectly safe for a competent driver, which it is.

You shouldn't talk about things that you know nothing about, like "reality."
I'll oppose a law when it is unfair. I will support a law when it makes sense.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I'd say when the front bumper goes into the crosswalk would be a starter. But different cars have different amounts of overhang, so some cars could actually be on the line or over it, and NOT in the painted pedestrian crossing lines. I hate those people who stop at the second line in the crosswalk, and then give you a dirty look when you give them a dirty look and a one finger salute because you have to walk around their car and into the intersection.
Steve

Yes, the mayor should ALWAYS drive a new car, and a better model than any citizen. It's just the right thing to do. I'll gladly pay $75 for going six inches over the line any day. I have no idea how much sleep I might lose if I were a scofflaw.
Steve