Denver Collects Fines On Drivers Who Stop At Red Lights

Page 2 of 4

No more problems for me here in NJ on one of my cars, a Mercedes diesel. Any diesels built before 1994 no longer have to go for inspection, which is where you get the windshield inspection sticker. They only check brakes and emissions via the onboard computer on any cars they inspect now, AFAIK. So, with no computer emissions to read out on those cars, they decided to just not bother anymore. And NJ did away with plate stickers long ago for all cars. So, no more stickers for me! Next time I'm in with my other car I have to ask them if you're supposed to just leave the last sticker in the windshield or remove it.

the feds want mandatory GPS imbeded on all new vehicles.
the vehicle would monitor the driver and report in by cell phone all infractions. things like wreckless driving speeding etc. vehicle would look for signs of being driven by a DUI and call for police assistance
tampering with the system would shut down the vehicle completely.
police could send out a slow down signal to all vehicles in area of a police chase.

Do you have a citation for this? There are some court cases kicking around saying that police may put GPS on a car without a warrant, but that doesn't sound like what you are talking about. -- Doug
On 11/4/2011 8:09 PM, Douglas Johnson wrote:

Old news combined with usual internet urban legend and fear mongering. Likely based in the already well underway effort to add data recorders to all new cars, and use the data from them for accident analysis. Some people don't like that, so there were discussions about if a warrant would be required to get the data. For cars with onstar or similar systems, the car already phones for help when certain things happen. I don't think there is enough headroom in cell system for all cars to report position constantly, even on a burst message basis. And a lot of country isn't covered by cell towers.
Sure, the technology to do all the various things already exists. LoJack can track and remote kill a car, OnStar can report location, etc, etc. It would not be a great leap to link all this stuff and tie it to the onboard computer and data recorder. And once all the old cars were off the road, it could eliminate most police chases- cop on scene could remotely read car's ID, transmit it uphill, and Big Brother in the cloud could just issue a command for the car to choke off fuel supply. Science fiction described such systems 50 years ago (although those cars could usually fly), but it hasn't happened yet. I hope it never does, for cost, additional failure mode, and constitutional reasons.
--
aem sends...

More likely would be the stuff that counts your mileage and then phones home because gas taxes based on gallons isn't paying enough.

On 11/5/2011 8:27 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

I was just thinking of this lately. Do electric cars get away without paying highway taxes?

They obviously don't pay taxes on the motor fuels. They would be subject to state taxes/fees like registration fee, that may go towards roads or tolls, etc. However those would be small in most cases compared to the fuel tax.

How would it be collected (with today's infrastructure)? They don't use gas, so obviously don't pay the gas (road) tax.

It's not that hard - you just build it into the annual plate/registration/property tax.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/energy/2011/05/110512-new-proposals-for-fuel-tax /

Sure, it *can* be done. The point is that it *ISN'T. The gas tax is a very simple use tax, though. It'll be hard to beat. There would be a revolution if people were charged thousands of dollars per year to register their cars. It's not as simple as the leftists propose.
On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 11:15:21 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Right now, it is a benefit of going electric, but states are considering methods of taxation. One method is to report miles every year. If thee is a state inspection of any sort, that is not hard to do.

Sure, but again, the natives *will* get restless when you hand them a bill for $thousands. It's much easier to take it out $.40 at a ding.

GPS-transponders that record your in-state mileage driven. Periodically,you have the car's "black box" downloaded and get mailed a bill.
several states are testing such devices right now.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Gas taxes, certainly. Unless hybrid, but even then you use about half the gas.

Right now they do in most states. It's kind of interesting, because many states have aggressive enforcement looking for people using farm diesel or #2 boiler fuel in diesel trucks to avoid road fuel taxes. That was also an issue with propane conversions.

states are working on GPS-systems to tax electric cars by mileage driven,and the system will of course extend also to gas and diesel autos.
TANSTAAFL.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Do they check often? I don't know of anyone that ever has been caught around here. Of course, we buy a lot more fuel oil than other states so filling a tank is less likely to set off alarms.

They won't get anywhere with a lawsuit. The feds or state govt just need to say that they are encouraging use of electric vehicles by not subjecting them to the equivalent of a fuels tax. If they can give you a $12,000 tax credit for buying one, they surely don't have to put a road tax on it either.

They are available for people to put on their family buggies so they can keep tabs on their young drivers.
Steve
On 11/5/2011 12:48 PM, Steve B wrote:

And for fleet vehicles to keep tabs on employees.