Denver Collects Fines On Drivers Who Stop At Red Lights

Page 1 of 4
Denver Collects Fines On Drivers Who Stop At Red Lights
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2011/11/03/denver-collects-fines-on-drivers-who-stop-at-red-lights /
The city of Denver is bringing in thousands of dollars in fines every year by ticketing people who stop at red lights. They’re ticketed because their tire goes over the white line that marks where the vehicle should stop.
The red light cameras at various intersections in the city will flash and the driver will be sent a $75 citation if the vehicle goes over the white line, even if the driver stops for the light.
CBS4 Investigator Rick Sallinger found most everyone who challenged the white line tickets in court lost.
http://cbsdenver.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/red-light.jpg
========= I don't know why the car on the right is circled in that picture. The minivan on the left appears to have crossed the line.
The picture doesn't look clear or detailed enough to see the licence plate (?).
Add pictures here
βœ–

It's legally defined as having entered the intersection and is almost universally illegal. It's the same as stopping halfway through the intersection, which no one would dare question as being a fineable offense. But, the line must be drawn somewhere and it IS, in plain sight, with bright white or yellow paint. If yer too stupid to stop short of the line, then yer too stupid to be driving.
OTOH, that some alarmist jerk journalist decides to make an issue of it only shows how far the news media will go to avoid having to report real news content. If you can't find --or are too spineless to report-- any real news, create some bogus news. I wish the newspaper industry would hurry up and finally die off and let biased, lying, agenda carrying, legal dept free, bloggers finally have free reign to ferret out the dirty laundry. Even if they may be too stupid to know when to shut up (which is probably the most honest news). ;)
nb
Add pictures here
βœ–

Chicago has just started to ticked you 100$ if you leave old city stickers on your windshield, everybody wants revenue
Add pictures here
βœ–

What took 'em so long? It's illegal in CA to have ANY sticker anywhere on the front windshield and has been for half a century, or more.
nb
Add pictures here
βœ–

What do they do with out-of-staters who's state *requires* such stickers?
Add pictures here
βœ–

Shoot 'em. ;)
nb
Add pictures here
βœ–

Thanks for playing... In section 26708 the CVC specifically allows:
" (3) Signs, stickers, or other materials that are displayed in a seven-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver, signs, stickers, or other materials that are displayed in a seven-inch square in the lower corner of the rear window farthest removed from the driver, or signs, stickers, or other materials that are displayed in a five-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest the driver."
Add pictures here
βœ–

I suspect what they are going after the people who drive with expired stickers in the hopes that noone with notice they aren't current.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Don't believe that for a second. I lived in Texas and Louisiana, and I've seen many a trooper do a U turn from 70 mph on the Interstate to come back and get an expired sticker. They are color coded, and easily spotted. DAMHIKT
Steve
Add pictures here
βœ–

I've seen it to when I lived in PA. I've also seen the sticker replaced with poster board, trading stamps, and most anything that was the right color for the period.
Here in CT, we no longer have stickers or tags on the license plate. Too many plates (including one of mine) were being stolen for the little tags.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 11/05/2011 02:49 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I actually had the sticker removed from one of my license plates once. Got pulled over the same day that I discovered it (and actually on my way home from my then-girlfriend's parents' house, in whose driveway I noticed the missing sticker, and it was a Sunday, so I had no choice but to drive home in the car with the missing sticker) :/ Cop was a jerk because I had my registration card in the car, I came up clean in the system, and you could even see a little corner of the sticker remaining on the plate, so it was obvious that I wasn't a deliberate scofflaw but a victim of theft, but I still had to sit at the side of the road for about 45 minutes before he decided to give me a ticket anyway. Grr. Of course this was in Ohio where the cops are notoriously hardasses.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

When we had that problem in my state, the publicized circumvention was to score the sticker several times with a razor blade. The thief would then have to remove many pieces.
We've since gone to driver's side front windshield stickers.
Add pictures here
βœ–

The windshield stickers I'm familiar with are pretty flimsy already. Windshield replacement techs can transfer them about 50% of the time but they have advantages the normal perp doesn't.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 11/05/2011 06:11 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Eh, some of them can be transferred, some can't. I remember my dad had to get a new windshield in his old Chevy truck years ago, and the tech actually cut that piece of the old windshield out and he had to leave it on the dashboard until the next inspection interval rolled around (this was in PA, at the time as I recall you had both an inspection and a truck weight class sticker.) The Virginia inspection and county stickers transfer though. In fact, the glue on the VA ones is so weak that they start looking pretty shabby a couple months before the inspection is due, especially if the car is parked outside so that you get condensation on the inside of the windshield...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
βœ–
HeyBub wrote:

The plate stickers here in Ontario (Canada) are designed such that they can't be peeled off without breaking up badly once they've been applied to the plate. They're usually just applied over-top the old sticker.
It's easier to print a fake sticker on a color ink jet than to steal one if you ask me.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 11/5/2011 7:16 PM, Home Guy wrote:

Ours are difficult also but can be done with a razor blade especially if there is an old one or two under it. They are also reflective so they are a little difficult to reproduce.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Wow, what a jerk. I got pulled over one day and had no idea why. Seems like the sticker was missing on my plate a few years ago. Turns out, it had been missing for over a year. The new sticker came in the mail and it was bad weather so I put it aside. He wrote up a warning and I was on my way. Found the sticker and put it on that night.
Add pictures here
βœ–

So... you purport that someone removed your sticker, a sticker that is for all practical purposes impossible to remove in any sort of reusable state?

False dichotomy. A remaining corner of a sticker is not evidence the remainder was stolen.
If someone could have stolen your whole sticker, you could have stolen someone's corner.
As for your registration being current, that's probably a lie, too.
You know you're a notorious (and small childlike liar), right...?

Or, maybe your lies offended the cop. Or, maybe it was your record of traffic citations combined with your unabashed lying:
From: "Nathan J. Nagel" Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 22:05:25 -0400
"I've been wearing prescription glasses since fourth grade..." http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker/msg/d29e8779de3461a2?dmode=source
From: Nathan Nagel Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 12:59:55 GMT
"I'm -2.5 on one eye and -2.25 on the other, can't see a bleedin' thing without my glasses." http://groups.google.com/group/alt.tasteless/msg/47697b0af2fef90a?hl=3Den&dmode=source
From: "Nathan J. Nagel" Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 19:46:27 GMT
"FYI I just had a complete vision exam not 6 months ago and passed with flying colors." http://groups.google.com/group/alt.peeves/msg/b2c953e669ba7f19?hl=3Den&dmode=source -----
- gpsman
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 11/06/2011 07:53 AM, gpsman wrote:

I don't "purport," I am stating with 100% certainty that it happened. There was a sticker on that plate a few days earlier, and then it wasn't there. The only explanation that makes any sense is that someone took a razor blade or similar implement and removed it. Whether the thief was able to reuse it I obviously don't know.

Come up with a plausible explanation then.

But clearly I hadn't, having a current registration, proved by both my registration card and the police computer.

I do not know that. I do know that you are a consistent contrarian and bender of the truth.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker/msg/d29e8779de3461a2?dmode=source
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.tasteless/msg/47697b0af2fef90a?hl=en&dmode=source
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.peeves/msg/b2c953e669ba7f19?hl=en&dmode=source
Clearly you are unable to grasp that someone with naturally poor vision can have excellent vision with corrective lenses. For someone of your intellectual limitations that's understandable, however.
nate
--
On 11/6/2011 7:53 AM, gpsman wrote:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker/msg/d29e8779de3461a2?dmode=source
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.tasteless/msg/47697b0af2fef90a?hl=en&dmode=source
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.peeves/msg/b2c953e669ba7f19?hl=en&dmode=source
You are being contrary just for the sake of being contrary. Somebody might have scraped off his sticker just because they were pissed off at him, and wanted to cause him untraceable hassle. The girl's previous boyfriend would be a plausible candidate in that scenario, seeing as he was headed home from her house.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
βœ–