Demolition hammer as tamper

Could anyone comment on their experience using a demo-hammer with tamping attachment. The 5" tamper base seems pretty small- is this mostly just to tamp around posts?
I have several small jobs coming up where I could use a power tamper. [a few different areas of 60-80 square feet each where I need to tamp down a stone base.]
I have rented a power tamper before for about $80/day. I see the tamper base & shaft goes for about $80-100. [This is for a Bosch 11305 Demo-hammer-- the one with the 3/4 hex bits]
If it is at all practical for what I want to do I'd rather buy that. It would take longer to do the job, but I could do a little bit at my leisure [which is my usual M-O anyway] and I'd have the tamper around for the next job.
Jim
<< If it is at all practical for what I want to do I'd rather buy that. >>
Since you aren't time constrained, owning the tool makes sense. Down the line if your jobs outgrow it, upgrade and sell the original on eBay. That way your net investment will be reasonable. HTH
Joe
Thats insane to try and tamp a large area with a demo hammer. Bite the bullet and look around for a used plate compactor. It will save you back and time! The tamper on a demo hammer is used for small stuff and to tamp in places a compactor wont fit.