Using hammer wedges

I?m fitting a new handle to a sledge hammer and when I asked for some wedges in the hardware store they gave me these.

Pack contains one hardwood wedge and two ridged metal tubes. What?s the right way of using these? Are the tubes an alternative to the wedge or do I use both?

If the latter, presumably I have to saw a slot for the wedge across the middle of the shaft end? Where do I hammer in the tubes? Any gotchas?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It must be the season for it, Dad gave me his sledgehammer recently and I decided to treat it to a new handle ... luckily I could salvage the metal wedge

Faithfull #5 wedges? Not sure if they're intended for sledgehammers, I also have my Grandad's axe and it could do with a new handle, those seem to be the wedges recommended for it and it's only about a couple of pounds, not 16(?) pounds.

Both

slot for the wood wedge straight across, then the tubes splitting the wedge and surrounding shaft into thirds.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks but not sure I follow you. Do you mean cut a slot in the long axis or short axis of he handle? If it?s across the short axis I don?t think there?s enough width to hammer he tubes in the wedge across the same short axis. If slotting the long axis then there would be room but most wedges I?ve seen go across the short axis.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Long.

They haven't updated the destructions for the tubular wedges.

Reply to
Andy Burns

But that's only with an axe about the size of mine, not a sledgehammer.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks. I?ve fitted it now. Fingers crossed the head stays on. ;-)

To be honest, I don?t really have any need for a sledgehammer but when you find a rusting 10lb head lying by the side of a country lane you have to take it home. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+