Daylight savings time ends Sunday Nov 2

Page 1 of 2
Here in the States, Daylight Stupid Time ends Sunday November 2, 2014

Not every state observes DST.
And the proper name is Daylight Saving Time.
For the winter we should push the clock ahead another hour.
Terrable wrote: "And the proper name is Daylight Saving Time.
For the winter we should push the clock ahead another hour. "
Point #1: "Savings Time", like "nu-qu-lar" weapons, just rolls off the common tongue easier. I'm dyslexic, so saying them the correct way is second-nature to me. ;)
Point #2: Daylight Saving isn't a magic wand that adds hours of daylight. Advancing the clocks another hour works - if you want sunrises after 9AM in New York and at 10AM in indianapolis(same zone as NY).
On 10/30/2014 04:53 PM, terrable wrote:

I prefer Daylight Stupid Time
Todd: Or, Daylight SLaving Time - more subtle! Forces you up while it's still dark out. LOL
Todd: Or Daylight SLaving Time! Forces you up while it's still dark out. LOL
On 10/31/2014 03:05 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

:-)
On 10/31/2014 03:06 PM, Todd wrote:

My website has a lot of server-side (PHP) scripts that handle time settings in different places.
In the comments, I call DST "Damn Stupid Time", considering that it makes handling times MUCH more complicated.
For one thing, without DST every day would be 24 hours long.
--
54 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).

Why? They're just numbers on the clock. We're just pretending. (and I think you mean 'back' another hour)
Todd wrote: "Here in the States, Daylight Stupid Time ends Sunday November 2, 2014 "
Todd, if I were standing in front of you I'd give you a super loud high-five and a Vulcan salute! Great minds think alike!
On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 18:01:57 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Di you hear about the agnostic dyslexic insomniac?
He stayed up all night wondering if there really was a dog.
says...

So much for the promise "If you like your daylight, you can keep your daylight!"
On 10/31/2014 11:50 AM, Mike Hartigan wrote:

Bill Clinton on daylight: I've tried as hard as I could on anything, but I can't give you your daylight saving back.

We should push the clocks ahead an hour every week, just to get a jump on the future.
On 10/31/2014 1:34 PM, Neill Massello wrote:

Would that make women pushy mother clockers?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I would think one would use UTC and simply convert upon display for the correct TZ rather than farting around with DST conversions. Microsoft's insistance on storing time relative to the local timezone was a poor choice, that's true.
On 11/03/2014 10:10 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
[snip]

My server runs on Red Hat Linux, and storing time as UTC (no DST!) does help a lot. However, there are still numerous situations requiring display of local time, and INPUT of local time.
--
51 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).
On 11/04/2014 08:19 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Hi Mark,
1+
So do mine. Never had any trouble what-so-ever.
Do you remember when Windows would keep resetting 2:00 back to 1:00 over and over. Told everyone to leave there computer off that night. Chuckle, Chuckle.
Heads up on Red Hat 7. It is pure 64 bit. If you are running any 32 bit Windows apps under Wine, y o u a r e s o s c r e w e d. It is an absolute disaster.
-T
On 11/04/2014 11:47 AM, Todd wrote:
[snip]

Yes.
Also, there's a way to set Windows to use a clock chip using UTC.

And I need the 64-bit clock, since I need times after early 2038.

--
50 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).

Things that strftime(3)/strptime(3) won't handle?
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/strptime.html http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/strftime.html