Cutting padlocks

Page 1 of 4
I've got a padlock that's been outside too long. The key won't turn (although after copious amounts of WD40 it does, finally, enter the lock) and it's in a rather hard to reach spot. I'm heading off to Harbor Freight this weekend, so I was thinking that the best way to remove the lock would be to buy an angle grinder and the appropriate cutoff wheels.
Of course, it would be nicest to simply unlock it, and any tips or suggestions about how to coax it open are welcome. Brass body, looks like chrome steel hasp and brass key. Have not tried penetrating oil, hammer bopping, vibrating, heating or cooling yet. Saving the lock is unimportant so cutting is a good alternative as I've wanted an angle grinder/cutoff tool for a while. (-:
I see them cutting through industrial-sized padlocks like butter on "Storage Wars" and it looks like they are using an electrically powered 5 or 6" angle grinder. HF sells an air powered version, but I've got a cheap compressor )-: that I doubt would power it. An electric tool would be better. I have a lithium-ion powered Dremel, but I don't think it would cut through on a single charge. It's just to lightweight a tool for this job.
Anyone have any tips for weatherproofing a replacement? Blobs of silcone over the key hole and where the hasps enter the body of the lock?
-- Bobby G.

An ordinary hacksaw or Dremel will do just fine, althought it may take you a few minutes to cut through the hasp. I've cut through a few with my Dremel and the heavy-duty (gray cap) wheels.
Next time buy a weatherproof padlock. <http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&biw 20&bih37&source=hp&q=weatherproof+padlock&pbx=1&oq=weatherproof+padlock&aq=f&aqi=g1g-c1g1g-m1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_uplI08l6918l2l8374l12l11l0l0l0l3l228l1595l0.10.1l11l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp}415bf7fac0a263>
--
Tegger

Any 4-1/2" grinder with a thin (~1/8" or less) abrasive wheel will make short work of any pad lock or hasp and generate the least amount of sparks and debris.
A "plug-in Dremel" with those thin cutoff wheels will also do the job.
Never used a battery powered Dremel but those thin (1/16"?) cutoff wheels remove such a small amount of material that the total energy required might keep the job within a single battery cycle.
Unless you really want to buy a POS HF angle grinder, I'd suggest giving your Dremel a try.
Tegger's suggestion of a water proof lock is your best bet for a replacment.
cheers Bob
<stuff snipped>
<Any 4-1/2" grinder with a thin (~1/8" or less) abrasive wheel will make short work of any pad lock or hasp and generate the least amount of sparks and debris.>
I looked again at them clipping locks on "Storage Wars" and they seem to use about a 1/3 horse electric motor (just estimating from the size of the tool) with about an 8 or 9" blade. While I really have no particular use for a tool of that size, I am hoping that the HF ten dollar grinder (half price sale!) will last long enough to at least grind open this one lock.
<A "plug-in Dremel" with those thin cutoff wheels will also do the job.>
Santa's bringing me one, but I can't wait that long.
< Never used a battery powered Dremel but those thin (1/16"?) cutoff wheels remove such a small amount of material that the total energy required might keep the job within a single battery cycle.>
I suppose that should be my first line of attack since I have the tools and dozens of cut-off wheels. I think I will try that before buying the grinder since I already have more tools than I have storage space for them.
< Unless you really want to buy a POS HF angle grinder, I'd suggest giving your Dremel a try.>
I am ambivalent about yet another POS HF tool. I'm charging the Dremel now to see what happens. If it only nicks the hasp in 30 or so seconds, I suppose I'll have to make the trek to HF. They have a pump on sale that's proved useful before and some other crap I need, so I'd be going there anyway . . .
-- Bobby G.

Is that you, Ms. Galore? I knew your sister, Lotta Cun+.
(-:
-- Bobby G.

get a set of bolt cutters and be done in about 15 seconds. as far as maintentence, spray regularly with WD-40. I've had some outside for over 20 years
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 19:33:21 -0600, ChairMan wrote:

WD-40 is NOT a lubricant. It is not bad for loosening up the junk inside, but dries out quickly. I have found gun oil to work the best.

I never said to use it as a lube. It will however remove rust and displace water

I have yet to meet a padlock that didn't get cut, yes there are probably some that wouldn't, but I doubt in this case this is one of them. I use WD-40 for rust and water displacement, not a lube

I only tried it as a lube one time. I thought that woman would never quit screaming.
Steve
<stuff snipped>

I've got a set of bolt-cutters (articulated for increased leverage) but they've never impressed me much. Might try it before I buy the grinder, though. So far, it's only been useful for cutting softer metals.
-- Bobby G.
On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 16:16:02 -0500, "Robert Green"

I have a 36" HF bolt cutter I bought on sale that is missing about a half inch of the end of one jaw. It didn't cut a hardened shackle on a pad lock. ;-(
<stuff snipped>

How can I tell which I have?

It seems, from what I could tell of the rust marks, that water entered the lock through the shackle hole. Most weatherproof locks I've seen don't seem to have any waterproof collar (externally, at least) to prevent water from coming in along the shackle shaft.
I'll be on the lookout for Lockease.
Thanks!
-- Bobby G.

Huh? I have a pair of bolt cutters that is about four feet long. I'd like to see something it can't cut, so long as it can get it half way into its jaws. Maybe there is some exotic metal, but it has yet to fail to cut whatever I can get in it.
Steve

manufacturer? The only place I see hardened steel that anyone would need to cut is on locks.

Yes, it definitely cuts hardened chains. Those be the ones with the slight discoloration of a greenish yellow shiny tint, right?
Steve

On 11/28/2011 08:33 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

greenish yellow tint says to me cadmium plating, not necessarily an indication of any hardening process...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I went to the trailer store last week to buy the necessary items to put safety chains on a friend's trailer. In the bucket were 25' lengths of hardened chain. They were some off color, not chrome, not black. I just tried to describe the color I saw. But the man DID say they were hardened. I would say that man knew what he was talking about. The bolt cutters cut it with no problem.
Steve