Craftsman hedge trimmer replacement

I bought a craftsman "heave duty hedge trimmer" that has been awful. It says it can cut through 3/4 stems, but it has been awful cutting through my ivy.
My neighbor has an old school Craftsman from 20-30 years ago that works great.
I'm curious if there are any other brands that will cut through stems greater than this, although all electric ones I've seen say 3/4 at most. Do I need to buy a gasoline powered one instead ?
Thanks

That's the size of a broom stick and would beat any hedge trimmer to death. We have had husky electrics and gas powered (Echo) ones and I wouldn't subject any of them to that. You need a pair of manual loppers or a chain saw for the big stuff. RM~

it can cut 3/4" stems. Since they're claiming a "patented blade design", I'm guessing that it saws through them like an electric carving knife, rather than chopping them like a sickle-bar... whoops, nope. I just zoomed in on the photo. It *IS* a light-duty chainsaw, or something very similar.
Shred 3/4" stems perhaps but it will never cleanly sever them. You are attempting to push tools beyond their physical limits. Forget the advertising hype. If you want a decent electric trimmer buy a litle wonder, but you will still need to spend some time with lopping shears first.
Since when was Ivy a hedge?
It's going to be tough finding one that will cut through ivy because it is so flexible. Try sharpening the blades with a file.
yes. And it will say Stihl on the side of it.
--
Steve Barker