Cost of Comcast running cable

Page 2 of 4

snipped-for-privacy@nothome.com wrote:

Kewl beans - Do I need to use a jacketed hollow-point round, or will ball ammo work?
Joe
Does anyone remember the story a couple months ago? Man needed a hole through the exterior wall for his cable. Wife is on the other side, waiting to pull cable. He got a gun, and shot a hole through the wall.
Sadly, he wasn't observing gun safety. Know what is your target, and know what is behind your target.
Now, he's waiting to get out of prison, and his wife is dead.
Incidentally, you should be able to figure that question based on knowledge of bullet performance. FMJ, look it up. What kind of hole does it make. Versus JHP. What kind of hole do you need, for a wire?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Jeff Thies wrote:

They (the local subcontractor) installed mine for free at the time I got it for TV and internet a number of years ago. Two penetrations (living room, computer room), with a different wire for each. Each cable was installed neatly, along the outside of the house, with frequent use of cable staples. Took her about an hour.
I would never expect a free installation to run a wire under a house of within a wall, and they did a fine enough job with mine with the wires on the outside.
As much as I like to complain about Comcast, they have given me much better service than any other internet provider, and their customer service has always bent over backwards, 24/7, whenever I needed them.
Jon
On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 13:08:33 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

     I had exactly the opposite experience and I fired them. I suppose it is really what you get locally since there are really very few if any real Comcast employees. They are all "contractors" (AKA trunk slammers) It all depends on who is out of work and willing to take the contract for what they pay.
On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 13:08:33 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

My cable company sent a sub out here for a VOIP concerns. Hearing cross-talk and stuff.
They pull a cable under the street, where the cable tap was. My wire was corroded and the copper was green.
Free.
On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 13:08:33 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

My cable provider replaced the cable from basement to upper story with the upgraded cable fee of charge. Just connected the old cable to the new, and pulled the new cable up the wall with the old one (or down- can't remember). Of course it was not stapled - - - - .
ransley wrote:

If you do it yourself, talk to Comcast first. They well may supply you with cable, connectors, and splitters for free. The tool to install connectors will probably be your problem.
Bob F wrote:

But then again, if you run the wire before they come, Comcast wil be happy to crimp the connectiors on.
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Cost-of-Comcast-running-cable-467822-.htm DA wrote:
ransley wrote:

Last I heard from them was $80/hr and that was 5 years ago. They would NEVER commit to particular time onsite so that still leaves the total figure unresolved. Other posters here suggested that they would in fact run 1-2 cables for free if the locations aren't too bad. In my case their interpretation of "not too bad" was that they could run a cable on the OUTSIDE of the house and poke it right into the outlet, through the siding, insulation and all. They have also spliced the cable and left the splice unprotected to the elements AND laying on the ground. I wasn't home to supervise this install and this was the last time I let anyone run a cable in my house. A year after that Verizon brought FIOS and I never looked back.
If you have a friend you can hire (conscript/bribe/cajole) to help, this would definitely be the best way to handle the situation. Spend a day or so crawling through the attic, basement and such finding the best route. This way you will not only be able to install the cables better and save your house's structure from abuse but may also discover some other things that need attention.
Anyone can run a cable. The trickier part is to terminate its ends and if you are not comfortable doing it yourself (or don't have the compression tool and don't want to mess with screw-on), just let them terminate it. They will definitely do it for free ('cause it's quick) but they can still botch even that, so review the work after it's done.
Good luck! ------------------------------------- /\_/\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV
ransley wrote:

If you want the cable to enter the attic then branch to five different rooms through the walls, I can't offer a suggestion. BUT...
If the cable drop terminates at the facia, you can run cable on the exterior to the target room and punch in through the wall. This technique is, by far, the fastest, cheapest, and easiest way to get a cable to the target room.
Whether you can stand the TV being against the outside wall is another story.
HeyBub wrote:

Fast, cheap, and easy /= the correct way, in most cases. Putting wiring on the outside, aside from looking UGLY, leads to early failures of cable and connections. And those wall-throughs are just another place for water and bugs to get in. I often see them where the installer didn't even bother to put a drip loop on the cable, or made loops and turns so tight as to degrade the signal.
An extra hour or two to do it the CORRECT way every 20 years or so, should not be a big deal. I'll either do it myself, or hire a wire guy on my own and pay him for his time, versus the crappy piecework rate the cable/satt company would pay him.
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote:

Huh?
"Looks ugly" - Well, there's that. You COULD do what architects do when they make a mistake or something doesn't look right: cover it with ivy.
"Early failure" - There should be no early failure. You use the same cable as the provider uses from the pole to your house. In fact there should be LESS failure inasmuch as you can locate the run protected from the elements.
"Drip loop" and "water/bugs" - Can both be eliminated by the credo of this group "Do it yourself and do it right."
I did raise the problem of having to locate the TV next to an exterior wall if you wire from the outside, admittedly less than ideal. Now I'll throw the ball back to you:
I suggest it will take more than "a couple of hours" to run a drop TO an outside wall if you're trying to do so from the attic. You can't even GET to the top plate.
Also consider putting a TV jack in a first-floor room via the attic. Shudder.

Not a big problem in many homes - just drop the cable town the center wall to the basement, then back up to the first floor.
On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 13:18:16 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Not everyone lives in the frozen North, where there are basements. Wish I had one so I wouldn't need to put my shop in the attic.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Not to defend Bub, but large parts of US build houses on slabs- no basement or crawl available. On houses like that, if attic isn't an option for whatever reason, through-the-wall is the only practical (but still ugly) option. But even if you do through-the wall, you can still do it with SOME class- don't just staple it to the siding- tuck it under something wherever you can. If the house has vinyl (which is ugly enough all by itself), see if you can unzip one horizontal joint and hide it behind that. If no way to do it discreetly on the house, I'd be tempted to spring for burial-rated cable, and do a shovel-blade-deep slit around the house to where the entry points were, and bring it up over the exposed foundation in conduit (with sealer to eliminate bug entry path, of course.)
But like I said- outside the house would always be my LAST choice for a cable path. Along centerline of attic, and down through dead spaces or in blind corner of closets. There is almost always some path to get to where you want to go, even if it means pulling baseboards and tucking it under drywall.
Surprised nobody has a wireless TV router aimed at consumer market.
--
aem sends...

Like:
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_idC18
snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: (snip)

OMFG! A thousand bucks?!?! All my TVs and stereos together barely add up to that much money. Nice concept, but definitely still at the rich early adapter stage. Maybe in a few years when it is down to a couple hundred bucks, it might look like a viable alternative to stringing cable.
--
aem sends...

I didn't look at the price of that one. I've seen similar for $100, or so. OTOH, I really haven't done much research.

Could you cobble something together from a Slingbox and a router? Then just put it anywhere hidden. Apple TV wouldn't work with cable would it?
and name it after the IRS.

There used to be a tv distribution unit that used single untwisted pair #28 os finer cable to send the signal to wherever you wanted it. VCR Rabbitt was ons such device = so THAT technology exists. Could run that cable in under baseboards, fish it under carpet, and hide it in corners very easily.
There IS wireless TV distribution available in the consumer market as well - would have to do some searching, but I think X10 had something. Then there is always the "powerline jack" technology - also a "smart house" product - possibly also sold by X-10
Just checked - AITECH and X-10 both have product listed. Then there is also TERK Leapfrog.