Running Electrical Cable

Attached to by Concrete block house, I have a screened porch (aluminum frame,standard screen, indoor/outdoor carpet) and a Florida Room (Vinyl windows, alumnium room, lineoleum floor). I want to run an electrical line accross the screeded porch through the aluminum wall, so I can install an outlet on the Florida Room. I am thinking of using

12-2 UF cable and running it accross the floor along the aluminum frame, underneath the indoor/outdoor carpet. It will be secured in place with some kind of cable anchors. I plan on using a short piece of conduit where it passes through the aluminum walls into the Florida room, then it will go up say 1 foot in conduit to an gfci outlet/box with an outdoor cover. My question is it okay to run the UF cable without conduit accross the concrete floor, underneath the carpet, and along the aluminum frame? Any other ideas/recomendations? I live in Central Florida.
Reply to
OakRogbak_erPine

I doubt that's OK. Without citing a specific code requirement, UF does not offer any signficant protection from physical damage. Being under a carpet, it could be walked on, or a piece of furniture pushed on top of it.

I'd suggest a couple alternatives. If possible fish it under the porch and come up through the floor where the outlet is to be located. If that's not practical, run it along the wall and use a piece of surface mount condiut, it comes in different colors and you can get outlet boxes that mate with it.

Reply to
Jamie

Absolutely NOT

The only place undercarpet wiring is allowed is in commercial buildings with removable carpet squares. The ribbon wiring is very expensive and requires special tools and parts.

Check out wire mold and run it along the base board. When painted you it almost disappears.

Reply to
SQLit

SQLit, I actually was looking at this product at Home Depot. The only problem, they didn't seem to have the correct angle piece to make the transition from the the floor to going up the wall where I will put my outlet box.

now, looking at the example at:

that part appears to be the "inside elbow." It just doesn't look quite correct from the picture.

Reply to
OakRogbak_erPine