Cordless Tools - Another SUCKER PRODUCT

Page 4 of 5
On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 19:00:17 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

You said selling a half-full cartridge wasn't a con. I agreed with you. I then said it's a scam, or a take, or a short or a ripoff. Then I said, "How's that?" That was asking if you agreed. Nobody ever gave you alternatives and said, "How's that?" Do you really have trouble understanding that?

How can you buy a 2 ounce ink cartridge containing one ounce?

Look, just about you said "Nothing you said here makes half-filled ink cartridges in new printers a "con"." So you apparently believe - or don't deny - that printers are sold with half-fillled cartridges. So right away toss out all you said about container's "clear markings" indicating content amount. You just said you don't think half-filled cartridges are a con. You're a lonely man on that score.

Dance, dance. I never bought a printer that didn't come with a cartridge, and it was always a full cartridge. But somebody here said they sell them with half-filled cartridges. Harry, it looks like. Believe it or not. I don't know if it's true, and don't care, because I won't be buying printers. Looks like you have some interest in them. If I bought a flashlight with 2 batteries showing in the bubble pack, and later found one "battery" was a cardboard dummy I would be pissed. If I bought a printer where the package said "ink cartridge included" and later found it was only half full I would be pissed. Not you, apparently. You would smile and say "My glass is half full."

Enough. You don't have a point here I'll ever agree with. I'll leave it at that. Besides, it Harry's faut.
--Vic

I find nothing sneaky about it. They never promised you something and then took it away.
They never implied you'd get X number of pages with the current cartridge.
Let's say they were able to design a 1/2 size cartridge that would fit the printer so you got a "full" container upon purchase. Would that make you (or Vic, who complained about 1 oz in a 2 oz container) happy?
What if they gave you a standard cartridge that was full but increased the cost to account for the extra ink? Would that make you happy?
They gave you X amount of ink along with the printer, an amount of ink that was covered by the price you paid.
Do you get a full set of bits when you buy a drill or do you get some "token accessories" and then have to buy more very soon after purchase?
Do you get a high quality blade when you buy a circular saw or do you get a POS that has to be replaced very soon after purchase?
Do you consider those to be "cons" also?
Bottom line: You got what you paid for. No con, no rip off, no scam.
I'm done...
On 06/07/2011 09:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

With printers a lot of times it is quite a chore to find out how many pages you get out of a cartridge. It is not "clearly marked on the package". It could take a half hour or more to track down the specs on the printer.
You can't get around the fact that these printer makers almost always try to prey on the ignorance, laziness, and naivety of the average consumer. I expect you think you can outsmart the makers and find the good deal while the average poor slob gets beat. That way you would get something for nothing. Or maybe you don't care much about the cost and just like to see the average poor slob get beat.
On 6/12/2011 1:36 PM, Matt wrote:

There is no way to say how many pages you get per cart. Font, white spaces, included photos, etc, all affect how much ink or toner gets used. Somebody could develop a standard, I guess, with standard files to print to use for comparing, but for obvious reasons that will never happen.
--
aem sends...

re: "There is no way to say how many pages you get per cart."
Not so, at least according to Xerox.
The Xerox laser printers we use at work will tell you approximately how many pages you have left in each of the user-replaceable parts - toner cartridges, imaging unit, transfer roller, etc. They'll tell you the percentage of life left and approximately how many pages you can expect from each component.
I don't know if it's based on a standard or an average of what we use per page. I'll see if I can find out.
We have a maintenance contract with Xerox and these printers will email Xerox when the supplies are running low, triggering an automatic shipment.
Also found this (and others) via Google:
HP Black Toner Cartridge, 10 Pack Part #: C7115A-KIT-10. Yields Approx. 2500 Pages Per Cartridge @ 5% Coverage

I just printed out the Supplies Usage page from one of the Xerox printers at work:
Transfer Roller OK Pages Remaining: Over 2000
Imaging Unit - (Graph shows ~75% Life Remaining) Estimated Pages Remaining: 26300 - 26900 (Based upon average coverage for the life of the item and average printer job size)
Fuser- (Graph shows Yellow Exclamation Point) Estimated Pages Remaining 0 - 600
The 4 toner cartridges read as follows:
Black (graph shows ~75% Life Remaining) Estimated Pages Remaining: 2400 - 3600 (Based upon this toner cartridge's average coverage: 4%)
Cyan (graph shows ~65% Life Remaining) Estimated Pages Remaining: 900 - 1500 (Based upon this toner cartridge's average coverage: 3%)
Magenta (graph shows ~75% Life Remaining) Estimated Pages Remaining: 1100 - 1700 (Based upon this toner cartridge's average coverage: 2%)
Yellow (graph shows ~90% Life Remaining) Cartridge Status: Full
On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 16:13:36 -0400, Frank
[snip]

They claim it's to protect their equipment (something about damage caused by the OPD valve operating).
Here, Walgreens (and maybe CVS too) get their propane from a company called "Heritage Propane" which puts more in the tanks (for the same price).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

Would it make you feel better if the cartridge that came with the printer was half the size?

The remaining percentage is doofus.
On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 10:57:44 -0700, Smitty Two
[snip]

I've had a laser printer for a few years now. It does print a lot more pages before the toner has to be replaced.
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

Unfortunately, I don't live in a grayscale world and if I'm not mistaken, the TCO for color lasers is a lot higher than for color inkjets.
This site has a decent (and updated) article about lasers vs. inkjets. Yes, it's related to small businesses, but even if you scale the pages per day down to "residential use" numbers, the cost ratios still hold.
All factors have to be taken into account when comparing prices: A laser cartridge may last a heck of a lot longer than an inkjet, but they can also cost a heck of a lot more to replace - especially for color.

You must have your "link filter" turned on.
I've increased the power level of the link and it should blast its way through any filter. Let me know...
http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/testdrive/article.php/3521141/Inkjet-Versus-Laser-Printers.htm

That's not how I read it, but since you haven't finished reading it, there's no sense in discussing it.
Finish reading it and then come on back.

When you bought the laser printer, was the toner cartridge full? ;-)
On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 08:49:10 -0500, Mark Lloyd

I've had a B&W Canon laser printer for almost 10 years. Still using the same toner cartridge. I have seen these toner cartridges online sold for under $20 shipped. You cant buy ink for that price and the ink will be used up in less than a year. The only pisser, the company never made drivers for Windows 2000, XP and up. Talk about forced obsolescense....... Which makes this another SUCKER PRODUCT. But I just use my Windows98 computer to do all my printing. I also have a dot matrix printer, those ribbons are real cheap and last forever. I only print documents, so I dont need color. It's cheaper to take photos to Walmart or the corner drug stores for printing, than to feed ink and costly photo paper to a photo printer.
I also have an old
On 06/07/2011 11:48 AM, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

and just how many pages is that?

Sounds like the OP hit kind of close to the mark.
If you think it's either inkjet or pen and paper, you are a sucker.
If you print much B&W, get a laser printer. I refilled the starter cartridge on a $75 Brother laser printer for $12, and now it is good for 3300 more pages. Far better quality than an inkjet too, and water proof.
Save the inkjet for when you need color.
On Jun 7, 7:38am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Instead of wasting our time (and yours) making ridiculous generalizations, why not spend that time a little more constructively?
Go test some cordless tools that cost more than a half-day's work at minimum wage. $39.99..what did you expect?
Troll.
On 6/7/2011 7:38 AM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

(tirade snipped) Shrug. I'm on year five with my 24v B&D cordless drill, original battery pack, and it still holds a charge just fine, several months sitting on the shelf between uses. It is was it is, a convenience for small jobs, or when it would be a pain to string a cord. No, I wouldn't try to do production work with it- the one time I did, putting a storm-demolished shed back together, the batteries did go flat after the first 100 self-tapping panel screws or so. But for the 25$ I paid for it off the remainder table at Lowes, it has easily paid for itself several times over. I have a real corded drill for big jobs, but I don't do big jobs that often any more.
--
aem sends...

snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

It's the Gillette marketing model: Give away the razor and sell the blades.

....and take the superior alternatives off the market.
What are we up to now ....5 freakin' blades!? And I've yet to use one that was more effective than the old Gilette double-edged single blade adjustable razor with the platinum blades.
nb