Cordless Tools - Another SUCKER PRODUCT

Unfortunately, I don't live in a grayscale world and if I'm not mistaken, the TCO for color lasers is a lot higher than for color inkjets.

This site has a decent (and updated) article about lasers vs. inkjets. Yes, it's related to small businesses, but even if you scale the pages per day down to "residential use" numbers, the cost ratios still hold.

All factors have to be taken into account when comparing prices: A laser cartridge may last a heck of a lot longer than an inkjet, but they can also cost a heck of a lot more to replace - especially for color.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

When you bought the laser printer, was the toner cartridge full? ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I am confused. You used an obscure brand name 18v drill in unknown condition and it performed poorly and now all cordless tools are bad?

Reply to
George

You must have your "link filter" turned on.

I've increased the power level of the link and it should blast its way through any filter. Let me know...

DerbyDad03

I am 99 percent sure I have read that Home Depot sells their brand of cordless tools with a lifetime warranty that includes the batteries. Is this still true?

Has anyone ever tried to get a battery replacement from Home Depot? If you did, what was the result? Did they replace the battery without any problems?

Reply to
Daniel Prince

I just love the say idiots like you snip out parts of a message and comment ONLY on that part. What about the top dollar DeWalt I mentioned. Ahhhhh fuckit, you aint worth another second of my time!

Reply to
jw

I've had a B&W Canon laser printer for almost 10 years. Still using the same toner cartridge. I have seen these toner cartridges online sold for under $20 shipped. You cant buy ink for that price and the ink will be used up in less than a year. The only pisser, the company never made drivers for Windows 2000, XP and up. Talk about forced obsolescense....... Which makes this another SUCKER PRODUCT. But I just use my Windows98 computer to do all my printing. I also have a dot matrix printer, those ribbons are real cheap and last forever. I only print documents, so I dont need color. It's cheaper to take photos to Walmart or the corner drug stores for printing, than to feed ink and costly photo paper to a photo printer.

I also have an old

Reply to
jw

That's not how I read it, but since you haven't finished reading it, there's no sense in discussing it.

Finish reading it and then come on back.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

What I heard about the difference between dogs and cats. Dog looks at its owner and thinks, "He feeds me, gives me water, and caresses me. He must be God." Cat looks at its owner and thinks, "He feeds me, gives me water, and caresses me. I must be God."

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

The adapter would cost plenty and would have a short heavy cord from the adapter to the tool, and when people used it they would notice that they don't need a cordless drill most of the time. It would keep people from buying batteries and would be a kind of short cut to reverting to corded tools. The maker would be admitting how silly it is most of the time to use cordless tools.

Reply to
Matt

and just how many pages is that?

Sounds like the OP hit kind of close to the mark.

If you think it's either inkjet or pen and paper, you are a sucker.

If you print much B&W, get a laser printer. I refilled the starter cartridge on a $75 Brother laser printer for $12, and now it is good for

3300 more pages. Far better quality than an inkjet too, and water proof.

Save the inkjet for when you need color.

Reply to
Matt

Simpler to just make a battery pack that accepts off-the-shelf "C" cells. That would break the addiction.

Or the manufacturers could have a convention to standardize the battery packs. Then there would be competition.

Reply to
Matt

Federal government should pass law standardizing packs to take commonly available rechargeable cells using nothing more than a screwdriver.

This would help cut crude oil use, and trim battery packs going to landfills too.

Wall worts thoseplug in power transformers should be standarized using a few models with standaridized plugs. That would allow reuse of transformers and cut trash to landfills.

before anyone goes off about more laws can you imagine if there were no standard batteries like AA , AAA, C and D. Or every vehicle used a propriety battery only available from the car maker..

Standards can be good for EVERYONE

Reply to
bob haller

With printers a lot of times it is quite a chore to find out how many pages you get out of a cartridge. It is not "clearly marked on the package". It could take a half hour or more to track down the specs on the printer.

You can't get around the fact that these printer makers almost always try to prey on the ignorance, laziness, and naivety of the average consumer. I expect you think you can outsmart the makers and find the good deal while the average poor slob gets beat. That way you would get something for nothing. Or maybe you don't care much about the cost and just like to see the average poor slob get beat.

Reply to
Matt

There goes all the MP3 players and cell phones; down the trail with incandescent light bulbs.

Or would create more because of the larger cases needed.

Already done. There are only a few plugs and they *are* standardized.

You do know that there are *many* different batteries for cars. They aren't interchangeable.

...and no one.

Reply to
krw

ote:

cases and connections would be standarized, with just a few case styles, all easily taking new cells with nothing more than a screwdriver.

there are a limited number of car battery group numbers. most can be bought from sears or your local store.

not propietory only available from the car manufacturer at 5 times the price.

wall worts need more standarizations just a few voltages, perhaps all AC add bridge rectifier to device....

Reply to
bob haller

Even to the point of being silly. I went to get a battery from a local autoparts place and grabbed the group type I wanted. Fortunately the counter guy asked what vehicle it was for and he said "take it back and get the -RP version". Turns out that the car manufacturer used a standard form factor battery only with the posts reversed. So positive was where negative should be and vice versa. That would have cost me a return trip.

It is certainly working for cell phones. Up until they were required to standardize on using micro USB as the connector every cell phone had a different power cord. I have thrown away dozens of cell phone power cords and cigarette lighter adapters and probably have a dozen more useless ones in the drawer because they were all different. It doesn't help with the battery but now at least all power cords are interchangeable.

Reply to
George

Right. No innovation allowed. Nice.

So you admit that your position was a lie?

Most batteries will never be replaced.

No, they really don't. ...and your solution is the *worst* of all possibilities! What a waste...

Reply to
krw

So, I'll add you to the list of people telling Halliburton that he's wrong.

Reply to
krw

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

because of the heavy transformer that would be needed to change 120VAC to the lower voltage/higher DC current that the tools use. For a switcher,it would have to regulate from no-load to full-load,and would be of considerable size.

alkalines don't have the mAH capacity that rechargeables of the same physical size have.

because the drills use high currents,the cells need to be strapped or soldered together. you -can- buy new cells with tabs and solder them yourself. it's not easy.

rechargeables are recyclable,and many stores accept the dead packs. Radio Shack for one.You can also take a dead pack to a local battery rebuilder and have new cells installed for less than what a new pack would cost.

Wall-warts are too underpowered to run a power tool directly. (at least a -decent- power tool.) plus,you get larger power losses with the high currents at low voltage,over a longer cable from the WW to the tool. you end up needing a heavier cable,just like auto jumper cables.

Some are the same physical size and rating,but the pos and neg posts are reversed in position(and come with an R suffix). My Sentra is like that. the battery cables won't reach to accept the standard,more common battery of it's size.

BTW,I'm modifying my old Black and Decker VersaPak batteries to use a single Li-ion 18650 cell,doubling it's mAH capacity and lighter in weight,and WAY less self-discharge. I had to use a Dremel to cut off the tail end of the metal can,the end that's under the plastic cap.

and it's cheaper than replacing the NiCd cells with new ones or NiMH cells.

There's a page on Instructables.com ,if anyone is interested.

Jim Yanik