Connector ID please

Page 1 of 2
what is the external battery pack connector called? I should know this but my brain isn't helping, and I'm not coming up with the right search keywords either. I have a few battery chargers for rechargeable batteries; rather than using a wall wart for each I was going to take 12VDC from my UPS since the chargers all need to be plugged into the UPS when in use anyway.
thanks
Nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 9/12/2013 10:12 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

Post a picture somewhere as there are dozens of different "battery" connectors. Molex, AMP Mate and lock, Anderson Power Pole, various "coaxial" styles, etc.
On 09/12/2013 11:12 AM, Pete C. wrote:

Sorry, I had thought I'd copied and pasted a link to a specific product, but it clearly didn't "take." (I don't know why, sometimes ctrl-c, ctrl-v works, sometimes it doesn't.) I'm sure I've seen a larger version of this same connector used for electric winches as well. Let's try this again... THIS external battery pack connector.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)79002059
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On Thursday, September 12, 2013 12:08:21 PM UTC-4, Nate Nagel wrote: ...Snip...

On 09/12/2013 12:34 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

That's the connector that I'm trying to identify, the one used for the external battery pack for that UPS. I was hoping to be able to purchase the connector and then connect it to a lighter socket or terminal strip so that I could use natively 12VDC devices in the house without using wall warts.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 09/12/2013 09:37 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

What connector? All I see is a UPS.
Jon
On 09/12/2013 12:48 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Look at the back of it, there's a red and black plastic connector on the back panel, intended for attaching an expansion battery pack
This looks like the same connector...
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page2/B0002935BA-OMNIVS1500XL-callouts-LG.jpg
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 9/12/2013 12:01 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

Anderson Connector
http://www.andersonpower.com/products/singlepole-connectors.html
LdB
On 09/12/2013 01:29 PM, LdB wrote:

Thank you! I knew someone would know if I could just find a good enough picture.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I agree that it looks like a Powerpole connector. There are several differant sizes of them. Often a connector for the positive and another for the negative and you use a small pin to connect them together.
You are talking about 12 volt devices, doesn't that connector have 24 volts on it ?
Inverters are often ran on other than 12 volts.
On 9/12/2013 10:46 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Paul
On 09/12/2013 01:46 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Dangit you're right!
I was getting the Tripp-Lite unit confused with the last one I replaced the battery in... which was an old APC unit with a single typical 12V 7AH security battery... the TL unit uses TWO batteries... and sure enough they're in series! And the other two UPSes that I still have also use two batteries as well, I gave the old one to a friend of mine a while back.
Well there goes a perfectly good idea.
I do have a 12VDC benchtop power supply as well as a CTEK battery charger with a "power supply" mode so it's not like I can't make my stuff work. I was just thinking that since the UPS was powered up all the time anyway I could avoid adding any more transformer losses to the power bill... but c'est la vie
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

You need something like this $ 5 device including shipping to drop the voltage at high efficency.
I would not take the maximum current they list as the actual ammount you can use for long periods of time.
261222501361 eBay item number:
On 09/12/2013 02:15 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Interesting idea... however my battery charger's wall wart is rated at 12V 2A and I was hoping to be able to run 2 or 3 of these simultaneously so that is probably pushing it. (I may be charging NiMH cells, NiMH "9V" batteries, and/or Li-Ion cells, and that's three different chargers unfortunately...)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

You can also see it here...
http://www.tripplite.com/EN/products/model.cfm?txtModelID827
Greg
Nate Nagel wrote:

"Anderson Power Pole"
Sounds like it would be easier to open the case, and wire directly.
On 9/12/2013 12:37 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

On 9/12/2013 9:12 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

Perhaps this link will help you out? I have a number of large UPS units and I needed the info anyway. ^_^
http://www.powerwerx.com/adapter-cables/
TDD

I think it's been confirmed that they're Anderson Powerpole, this would have solved the problem nicely
http://www.powerwerx.com/adapter-cables/cigarette-lighter-socket-fused-powerpole.html
if I had a smaller unit, but as another poster pointed out, the decently sized ones are actually 24VDC not 12VDC. D'oh.
nate