What is this type of connector called?

Hello, I have an electric organ to sell but first I need to purchase a replacement mains lead for it.

It is based on a figure of 8 connector commonly found on cassette players but one side of the 8 is square rather than round!

See

for a picture of the figure of 8 connector I am talking about.....

Anyone help?

Stephen

Reply to
SH

C7P is a non-standard, polarised version of an IEC-C7 connector, only rated to 125V and usually sold with a US polarised NEMA connector on the other end of the lead ...

e.g. this bargain

Andy Burns

It's not standarised but I think that's called a 'polarised C7':

Does a regular C7 / figure-8 not fit?

Not seen a source with a UK plug, although you could get a US one and wire a UK plug on the end:

the cable may only be 125V rated though)

Also check your organ is good for 230V - if it's from the US it may not be capable of that.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

A better 'bargain':

Theo

The organ is a Yamaha Tyros originating from Japan. It did come with a power cord which has either been lost or mislaid.

We obviously need to check the organ actually works before we then place it on eBay.

Yamaha Tyros'es seem to be very sought after for various reasons.

Reply to
SH

It is also not legal to sell or use in the UK, or to sell or use on any equipment

If the organ is in fact 230V the best option is to install a different power socket.

If it isn't, replace its power supply unit and the socket.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Check if it's 230V capable, as it may be 100-110V only and need a transformer. If so, a NEMA to C7P cable would work if the transformer has a NEMA socket.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Or even cheaper…

£%201.68%21£%201.34%21%21%21%21%21%40211b5e2416811289199956768efa55%2112000015960355295%21btf&_t=pvid:3d36c4f6-fec4-46dd-93d6-8a422e927008&afTraceInfo=1005001405584434__pc__pcBridgePPC__xxxxxx__1681128920&spm=a2g0o.ppclist.product.mainProduct Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I checked around a lot of places and the upshot is this

The Tyros power supply will be 250V capable switched mode. The cable however never was and is not, but obviously its actually capable of doing the job. Piss poor engineering by Yamaha.

No one sells it with a UK plug. Aliexpress does it with a US plug that could be replaced.

It's not strictly legal, but caveat emptor.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The cable as described sounds familiar, I associate it with battery or shaver chargers, purchased in the US. All that I have in use now are bought in the UK, and have regular figure-of-8 form. I might still have one of the flattened ones in the spares box.

Reply to
Davey

Wouldn't a normal figure of eight plug, plug into the socket anyway ? (whereas the reverse would not be the case).

Reply to
Andrew

I found one place only that is a US based outfit that does this with a

13A on.

That wont be cheap shipment wise, nor especially quick, but its a quality solution

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Polarised C7, as people have said.

I had one on an old cool box in the car. I made a replacement by filling the groove on one side with Araldite.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Any reason for not using a normal round C8 assuming that the organ can accept 250v a/c?

Reply to
Michael Chare

They may have used a single pole power switch in organ.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Why would it need to be polarised? There are three core versions of the connector around, Dell used to use them on the laptop chargers before they made the cables captive. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I suspect that is the case with the two radios that I have. They both have C8 power cables.

Reply to
Michael Chare

In what way is it "not legal"? What action breaks what law?

Reply to
Jonathan Harston

According to Yung Li, their version of it is only UL approved - it doesn't have VDE or ENEC approval that it meets European standards (and also CJK+Taiwan approvals), which the unpolarised C7 has.

Which is probably down to it being only 125Vac rated. And also the NEMA plug on the other end not being approved.

As far as standards go, it doesn't meet BS EN IEC 60320-1:2021

As to what implication that has, depends on what you're doing. You might not get UKCA approval to sell a product using it, for example. If you want a law, try The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 2016:

Theo

Reply to
Theo

That one is not rated for 250V working