Condensation flaking paint on window frames

Hello,

The windows in my old house (150-200 yrs) have wooden frames. During cold periods, condensation gathers on the window pane then runs down to the frame. The water creates a good spot for mold to grow, wrecks the bedding putty, and lifts the paint. I don't know if the frames were originally primed but doubt it.

My instinct is to scrape away the flaked and checked paint, use TSP to clean and kill any mold, oil base primer, replace putty, oil base primer again, and then apply a latex finish coat.

If there is something I am missing here, I would appreciate any comments.

Mike

Reply to
Boatman

TSP will not kill mold , bleach will. You need storm windows and your humidity is probably to high. Do you humidify? At what temps do you humidify. You should not humidify to the point condensation occurs, only just before it occurs.

Reply to
m Ransley

Hi, Where do you live? Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Tony,

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. Full temperature range - 40 to 110 F.. Looked into replacing the windows. House is old Victorian Gothic. Large windows (20 windows, 48-58 inches high, 28-32 wide) everywhere to gather light. Replacing them is too expensive for me at this time (500-700 ea. + labour).

Mike

Reply to
Boatman

Are you running a humidifier in winter, what do you keep the humidity at. The point is when condensation starts you are to humid and damage occurs. Storm windows will help. Condensation forms on the coldest areas

Reply to
m Ransley

M,

I have storm windows. I just painted and installed them. Sometimes in late spring and early fall when the storms are off I can still get a cool night and will get condensation, especially if it has been a rainy period and the dew point is high. My place had been neglected a bit and I want to repair the previous damage caused by the water.

I don't use a humidifier or dehumidifier. A kettle sits on the back of the woodstove to keep us from getting a 'nose whistle' during the winter. I don't have a problem with condensation or frost once the storms are on.

I have potassium meta bisulfate (used by home brewers and in the commercial food industry to destroy mold and bacteria). I have used this in a bathroom before to get rid of mold with excellent results.

Mike

Reply to
Boatman

It is common when seasons change to build humidity in a house from weather warming up. In fall it is most common since your house has not dried out yet. Get a good humidistat and keep the kettle off when humidity rises.

Reply to
m Ransley