Paint flaking on Artex

My bathroom has a Artex ceiling - sort of little stalagtites. I noticed the white emulsion is flaking a bit over the shower.

Any suggestions before re-paint?.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

DerbyBorn expressed precisely :

Seek out a paint suitable for kitchens and bathrooms, they have more moisture resistance.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Do you have an extractor fan?

Reply to
GB

that sticky paint for sealing...can't remember the name of it ......I used it in the living room when the artex came off as I emulsioned it years ago...some mess.....but it stopped it and the emulsion went on fine .....

something like this

Jim GM4DHJ ...

Artex Stabilex is similar, I think. I've used that on distemper.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

yes that will work well ......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

give it a good brush. Or consider getting a plasterer to skim over it after knocking off the bulk of the danglies.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If it is old enough, it may contain small amounts of asbestos, so best left undisturbed. You can apparently get test kits.

Getting something to stick over it without abrading the existing loose surface could be difficult. An alternative could be a suspended ceiling below it.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Some Artex contains asbestos, and is best undisturbed.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Improve the ventilation by fitting one of the low power low noise fans designed to be left on for most of the day. If you don't fully get rid of the water vapour in the bathroom the ceiling paint will flake. As the area over the shower is the wettest in the room near it is where the paint will flake first. The older noisy fans fitted to the light or with moisture sensors do not run for anything like long enough to clear all the moisture.

Reply to
Peter Parry

GB wrote in news:po8lh2$s7i$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Yes - in the ceiling and venting outside

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Overskim the artex with proper plaster, and repaint with proper bathroom paint.

Stop using the shower and have a bath instead, every Sunday night, like clockwork.

Reply to
Andrew