Computer drawing package?

I would like a (cheap!) package that lets me draw walls, doors, window, etc. Separate layers for electrical, data & cable, sewers and fresh water pipes are desirable. Automatic dimensioning is a great feature. I used to have "3D Home Architect" but I installed a "version 6" published by a different company and it wiped out the original version. So, I plan to reenter everything into a more stable program. AutoCAD would be nice but it's too expensive. Suggestions?

Reply to
Stubby

My son's architectural drawing teacher suggested TurboCAD for home users. I haven't seen it, but in the past, others in this newsgroup have had good comments about it:

JoeSpareBedroom

You could try "Google Sketch up"...it's free.

BiffNightly

is a good one that is inexpensive.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

DeltaCAD looks good. I'll try the 45-day demo. It seems to have all the features, but multi layers and auto-dimensioning need to be checked out. Thanks.

Reply to
Stubby

I use MS-Paint.

Reply to
Goedjn

If you have only basic needs, Floorplan 3D, also from IMSI (same as TurboCAD) is an optimized and stripped down version of TurboCAD for just floorplan work. It does nice 3D renders of your designs and is

Reply to
Pete C.

I take it back. DeltaCAD can draq lines, rectangles and circles, etc. But PowerPoint or Paint can do that. I need something that knows about walls, closets, doors, windows, rooves, furniture, etc and selectable layers. DeltaCAD does insert dimensions, however.

Reply to
Stubby

If you have the training to run AutoCAD than try

is free and very versatile. It operates the same as AutoCAD so you will need to know a little to use it to its fullest.

Reply to
calhoun