Computer drawing package?

I would like a (cheap!) package that lets me draw walls, doors, window, etc. Separate layers for electrical, data & cable, sewers and fresh water pipes are desirable. Automatic dimensioning is a great feature. I used to have "3D Home Architect" but I installed a "version 6" published by a different company and it wiped out the original version. So, I plan to reenter everything into a more stable program. AutoCAD would be nice but it's too expensive. Suggestions?

My son's architectural drawing teacher suggested TurboCAD for home users. I haven't seen it, but in the past, others in this newsgroup have had good comments about it: www.turbocad.com
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

If you have only basic needs, Floorplan 3D, also from IMSI (same as TurboCAD) is an optimized and stripped down version of TurboCAD for just floorplan work. It does nice 3D renders of your designs and is <$50. If you buy the real TurboCAD it usually includes Floorplan 3D.
I have TurboCAD pro and still use FP3D for my home floorplan work since it's faster for that than the full CAD package, particularly for generating nice 3D views. FP3D's render engine takes location, time of day and time of year into account for sunlight BTW.
Pete C.
You could try "Google Sketch up"...it's free. http://sketchup.google.com /

www.deltacad.com is a good one that is inexpensive.
Rich
Rich wrote:

DeltaCAD looks good. I'll try the 45-day demo. It seems to have all the features, but multi layers and auto-dimensioning need to be checked out. Thanks.
Stubby wrote:

I take it back. DeltaCAD can draq lines, rectangles and circles, etc. But PowerPoint or Paint can do that. I need something that knows about walls, closets, doors, windows, rooves, furniture, etc and selectable layers. DeltaCAD does insert dimensions, however.
On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 08:30:20 -0400, Stubby

I use MS-Paint.
If you have the training to run AutoCAD than try http://www.progecad.com /. It is free and very versatile. It operates the same as AutoCAD so you will need to know a little to use it to its fullest.