Isometric freeware simple cad package? What would you use?

Been given a plumbing task, to produce an entire plumbing layout of a house, but showing only the plumbing.

I though there must be some sometric freeware simple cad package? What would you use? I've just tried Vector Engineer Quicktools but I'm not quite "getting" it!

Some other ones I found...but which to download?!?

Brl CAD

CAD
FreeCAD
Varkon CAD
Vector Engineer

Jonathan

It's all very well using a cad package to implement a plumbing layout into a design, but problems arise when it comes to the situation itself... snags,joist,underfloor, ect.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Carry on like this and you'll never make an architect

Reply to
Tony Bryer

If i'm constipated I can always work it out with a pencil. ;-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

probably need a 2D program that can draw in isometric, ie. on an isometric grid or simply being able to lock lines to 30 degree directions.

Brl CAD is a solid modelling package, so is FreeCAD it seems. These allow you to build a model of your house that can be viewed from different directions. You'd need to draw the pipework as actual tubes. Varkon is 2D/3D but the links seem broken.

expensive though). There was also TurboCAD from the high street. Try asking in alt.cad or alt.cad.autocad.

Reply to
Bart

try this - it's very good..

you can draw in 'isometric' if you wish and use layers to display only those features/services you want to see (layer for plumbing. layer for electrics, etc.)

not an easy task though.

Reply to
jhiker

've just used vector engineer to draw plans for an extension. I found it pretty good, and I tried a whole host of others. I hate the way others give you a "template", like you are drawing on a piece of paper. I want to draw the thing with real dimensions, then decide how I want it to scale/map to paper. I think it does isometric, but I've not used this. I bought the protools version to get the cross-hatching functions. All the best, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Never happens if you use a pencil and the back of an envelope.

Dave

Reply to
david lang