grinding wheels for cheap Bench Grinder

Hi all I've just 'acquired' a PP 6" bench grinder. It was being thrown out because one of the wheels has broken.

I know this is no great quality product but I have a use for a bench grinder and would like to get this going. I realise I'll be paying a few quid for a new wheel(s) but unlike some of this parish, I have never seen these things going for a tenner, or whatever!

I have used such grinders before (a long time ago) and am a little chary of them, and keen to be as safe as possible with it. What I'm wondering is, it it worth getting better quality wheels from a safety angle - ie. are the cheaper ones (as fitted) more likely to shatter than more expensive ones? Would it be worth replacing the unbroken coarse one as well? (I'm assuming things like wheel balance is likely to be better on replacement wheels, compared to the original fitted ones).

Also, is it possible to run the thing with just the one remaining wheel, or will it be unbalanced like that?

Thanks Jo N

Reply to
jkn

Get yuorself to a local ALDI they where selling 8 for a tenner recently?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Aldi had two sizes of wheel about a fortnight ago (and grinders, too) - try there, if convenient..

Why did the wheel burst? Was it dropped, or something similar? The balance should be OK on fitted or replacement wheels, I shouldn't think you'd have to "dress" them.

Probably won't make any difference.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I would be wary in case the remaining wheel has also suffered some (unseen) damage. But of course you can never be sure of past history of even a "new" wheel.

James

Reply to
James

Hi Guys Thanks for the comments. I've ended up picking up a couple of these cheap wheels from Aldi (a half-hour drive away but at least I've found out where it is). Hopefully this will suit my limited needs.

Cheers Jon N

Reply to
jkn

|Hi Guys | Thanks for the comments. I've ended up picking up a couple of these |cheap wheels from Aldi (a half-hour drive away but at least I've found |out where it is). Hopefully this will suit my limited needs.

Best to check with the that branch before traveling. The Aldi and Lidl specials only last a short time until they are sold out. The time = before they are sold out, may be less than an hour, or in some cases minutes.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop

17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg!
Yorkshire Dialect go to
Dave Fawthrop