Dormant rose in package

We bought some dormant rose bushes from a store that are in a plastic package. They had some leaves on them when we purchased them. Should they be kept watered? It will be another two months before we can plant them.

Reply to
MizzGail

They should not be selling them so early. But being the case, you will need to pot them up. Get a few five gallon containers or even three gallon will work. Make a pyramid shape with the soil in the container and splay the roots of the rose around it, then fill it in with more potting mix. Just make sure the soil is touching all the roots. Where do you live? Roses are pretty sturdy, you may be able to plant them now.

Reply to
Jangchub

I'd plant them in a big pot (with drainage), perhaps 2-3 gallons, and keep them watered and fertilized this summer. Plant next fall as the temps start to cool down.

It's very doubtful they'll survive bare rooted till then.

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

Unless you are in zone 5 or lower you can plant those roses now. If you are moving and can't access your new plot I'd suggest donating them to a neighbor as a parting gift to remember you by.

Mike

Reply to
immike

We are in Central New York. There is still snow on the ground. I doubt we can plant them right now. I'm more looking for advise on how to care for them still in the package until we can plant them. The package only give planting instructions, not care until you plant them.

Reply to
MizzGail

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo