Clean water in Africa

Page 5 of 8
Friend of mine from church has done a lot of Africa relief, and some other folks have gone along. I should know more, perhaps some day.
I'd like if your daughter would write a bit, maybe set up a web page. Send us the text, or link. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Ever lived and worked in Africa, Harry??? Didn't think so. And if you did you had your head so far up your backside you didn't see anything going on around you.
Yes, corruption is a large problem Political unrest sprouts from that - and with it, violence. Poverty is a bigger problem - some caused by corruption - but much by circumstances - unreliable rains, famine, etc.
Ignorance can be cured. It's called education. Education can help alleviate poverty - and also cut down on corruption and unrest.
Occupying and running them has not worked.
Educating them is definitely helping.
I've worked in 2 african countries - my daughter has been actively working in 3, and is leaving on Wednesday to check on projects in 2 more, where the agency she is working with is actively involved. She will be in Mali and Mauritania for the next month.
On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 22:35:54 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

losnyder dot blogspot dot com

Is there some reason you can't simply provide a clickable URL? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
wrote: >Friend of mine from church has done a lot of Africa relief, and some other folks have gone along. I should know more, perhaps some day.

Send us the text, or link.

losnyder dot blogspot dot com
On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 08:54:28 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Not good practice with bots etc harvesting addresses - and not good net higiene

You post your email adress but not a URL to web page? Does that make sense? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
wrote in message >

On Jun 17, 1:14 am, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

.

I have travelled extensively in Africa and other third world countries. Africa is a shit hole and getting worse, I have watched it deteriorate over the years. As someone else mentioned,the continent is overpopulated. And your daughter is wasting her time. The "work" of these do-gooders is entirely counter productive and destructive to the local economy of these places. Most of the problems in rural places are actually caused by these foreign (often religious) nuts.
The aid organisations exist primarily to support themselves, many make a good living out of money donated by well meaning idiots. Most of the money is spent on administration, posh hotels for administrators and bribes. Much is syphoned away through corruption. So next time you are asked for money for one of these organisations, DON'T give. A well known example here. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1255160/Ethiopian-Band-Aid-money-us ed-rebels-fight-government-buying-food.html
On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 22:55:20 -0700 (PDT), harry

I'll agree that much of what has passed for "aid" and "development" has been counterproductive.

Just be sure that where you put your money is an effective place to put it. Agencies like Mennonite Central Committee run on a shoestring - and no money or aid goes anywhere unless they have "boots on the ground" to monitor what goes where and to be sure it is not misappropriated.
World vision does a good job too - albeit with higher overhead, since much is done by "employees" rather than "volunteers". The aim is to have locals doing the work on the ground in the countries involved. Teach them to be able to do what needs to be done, and to do it effectively (proper use of funds, effective use of resources, ethical dealings, etc)
My daughter will never get rich - if she's lucky she will make a reasonable income - and yes, many times she wonders if she IS wasting her time.
I had the same missgivings when I was in Africa (Zambia) 40 years ago. Was it effective for me to be there teaching when they had their own people who were capable of teaching - but could make more money working in private business because I was willing to be there basically teaching for nothing??? Might it not have been better to work towards getting their own people involved rather than having Cuso volunteers do the job? The CIDA funded directors of the program had a pretty nice gig going that they were not too interested in working their way out of. Can't complain about sun 9 months of the year, cheap beer, and a relatively easy expatriate lifestyle, along with a good salary and "hardship bonus".
For my part, I tried to instill in my students a sense of responsibility, and a sense of PRIDE - so that they might consider teaching others - passing on the knowlege they were SO FORTUNATE to have the opportunity to have provided for them. I have to believe that at least a few of my 35 students went on to be a positive influence in their world. After 2 years I came home with empty pockets, but a lifetime of experiences to look back on.
My later time in Burkina Faso I sometimes also had to wonder if there was any point to being there. The people group I was involved in had real trust issues - they didn't trust each other farther than they could throw each other - and with good reason - as honesty was not a commodity in great supply. My friends had, by that time, been working with this group for about 17 years, and had been really questioning if anything was getting through. While I was there they found out about some serious duplicity and deciet that was causing serious problems in the community. They had to leave the community a year or so later, if for no other reason than to preserve their sanity - although health was the more significant force. They still had contact and were still working with the community, although not living in the community. Going back 10 or more years later, the whole fabric of the village has changed - they are more trusting and trustworthy - and along with that they are becoming more self sufficient and prosperous, and more healthy. They had an influence - and they had to step back and let it perculate for a while.
On Jun 17, 10:09 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

c,

aid.

ally caused by these

Interesting monologue. There are huge tracts of ex-farmland in Africa uncultivated because the farmers can't sell anything they grow due to food aid. So they give up and go and join the queue for the free hand-outs. And there is ignorance and incompetence, they are unable to run any business effectively.
A lot of land has intermitant droughts. The same places cannot support the population in drought though it can in good rains. So, overpopulated due to high birth AND survival rates.
There is no point in supporting this ever increasing population, we are headed for mega-disaster.
The streets in the UK are filled with "Chuggers" (Charity muggers).
They are paid to try to get you to sign up to regular payments for one charity or another. At one time we had volunteers on the streets rattling tins for donations. Charity is big business over here.
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 23:53:50 -0700 (PDT), harry

That's your opinion

The survival rates are TERRIBLY low in many of these countries and areas. Higher than you would like to see as you obviously believe the world would be better off without Africans (as you apparently believe it is without native americans)

Unless they can be taught how to support themselves. Africa is the next China or Japan or Korea or India as far as being a large supply of low cost labour to manufacture all the things Britts and Yanks and Canuks, (and increasingly, Chinese and Indians) want to buy for low prices.

Do you think the stick figures in Africa can learn factory skills? It's a bit different than hunter gatherer skills of thier tradition. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

Unless they can be taught how to support themselves. Africa is the next China or Japan or Korea or India as far as being a large supply of low cost labour to manufacture all the things Britts and Yanks and Canuks, (and increasingly, Chinese and Indians) want to buy for low prices.
On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 14:26:42 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Not only do I THINK they can = I KNOW they can.
They can learn to be excellent mechanics and machinists as well. I tault 35 mechanics - and of those 35, I am sure at least 20 turned ito quite adequate mechanics. Compare that to my 4 classes of Canadian kids taking Auto Mechanics - 10 to 20 in each class - total of 55 kids - only about 4 of whom I give any chance of ever making it as a mechanic.
You chould see some of the contraptions the kids come up with - toy trucks made out of fense wire and scrap iron that would make your head spin - and model motorcycles and airplanes made out of discarded drink cans and wire clothes hangars. Stuff your American kids wouldn't have a CLUE how to make - and this is kids with NO technical education.
If we can produce a generation of African youth who do not suffer from childhood malnutrition, chronic Malaria and Bilharzia, and get them a decent education, they could turn their world on end.
But to do that, we need to get a generation of those same kids into positions of responsibility and power, to root out the curruption of their forfathers, and provide a stable environment for growth and development. We need to also educate them on conservation principals to make the best use of the limitted water supplies they have for agriculture.
Look up "east africa sand dams" for one very successful project.

Thanks, I'd never have known. Good to hear. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
wrote: >Do you think the stick figures in Africa can learn

[...]

Just an update for those who were interested After spending 2 weeks in Mali My daughter Laura is in Mauritania for the next week She is going to the project in Kankossa tomorrow.
Take a look here: https://www.wvcommunities.org/so/can/Kankossa_Urban/Pages/about.aspx
Then she is off to Tenmiya - see: https://www.wvcommunities.org/so/can/Tenmiya/Pages/about.aspx and Taghadoum - see: https://www.wvcommunities.org/so/can/Taghadoum/Pages/about.aspx then on to Kaedi- see: https://www.wvcommunities.org/so/can/Kaedi/Pages/about.aspx#
These ore 4 of the 5 projects she will be visiting on this leg of her tour, among many others she is currently responsible for.

So what exactly has she achieved in two weeks? Tour? Just another charity parasite. I'm sure the donors would be pleased to know she is swanning around Africa at their expense. Staying in four/five star hotels too no doubt. Waste of money. These charities are crooks in the same way as the banksters. She needs to go out and get a proper job.

No JERK - and now I am being charitable.
She is in charge of making sure the projects are on track - and authorizing the funding of on-going projects - and if you check those locations, there isn't a 4 star hotel within 400km of most of them. She's sleeping under the stars on roof-tops in many of these places - like the workers and the locals.
Did you check the information on the projects I listed? Of course not. Know-it-all bigot .

And you do what for a liviong?? Jerk

Clare you are a stupid stupid woman. Women in Africa are considered to be chattels of absolutely no consequense. Once away from policed "tourist areas" they may not travel alone. Any unattached woman is considered fair game and is at risk of rape. kidnapping or mugging, murder or even all of those things).Any woman is ignored in polite society, she is considered to be wife/sister/other lackey. Ergo, she can achieve absolutely nothing by her presence. She will be expected to keep silent. African are accustomed to deal with men, women are the possesion of men, without intellect or value other than baby machines/status symbols. If she is indeed sleeping under canvas I hope they have sufficient armed guards, they will need them. All white people are perceived to be rich and hence the targets of local criminals. The police may well be in cahoots with them. Any woman wandering alone are considered "fair game" as they do not seem to be owned by a man. Many Africans have a huge interest in having sex with a white woman, something they can brag about. The big cities are the most crime and violence ridden places in the world, especially by night. Out of the cities, white people have to secure the "protection" of the local head man which might cost money.
I just hope your daughter is travelling with experienced Africa travellers and not some half witted do=gooder. These are things you should have found out before she even set off.
In muslim countries, if not dressed to what locals consider appropiate standards (and who knows what that is nowadays) she might be stoned in the street. Yes things are that bad. People in Africa are getting poorer and more desperate all the time.
I have seen all these things myself first hand. And been the target on ocassion. This stuff you see on the TV is poitically correct crap. Africa was, is and always will be full od savages. Since de-colonisation, things have just gone downhill. Weapons (sent by the Yanks0 are in the hands of crimials (sold to them by the police), things just go from bad to worse.
Stupid woman. You really haven't a clue what could happen to your daughter and how pointless her presence is in Africa.
Bit here on the topic. And this is just the tourist areas. http://www.transitionsabroad.com/publications/magazine/0405/women_travel_in_africa.shtml
On Sat, 06 Jul 2013 23:54:06 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Well I hope it works out well. After reading the pros and cons in this thread, I don't know how much good it does in some of the communities, but I'm sure it helps in some.
May I make a suggestion? Have your daughter take Harry along so he can observe and report back to us with his unbiased opinion.

She'd leave him in the first wadi they come too.
On 7/7/2013 1:23 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I still think your daughter is a real life angel. ^_^
TDD