Clean water in Africa

In MOST places in Africa ground water is relatively safe. Only a problem in areas where unregulated mining has caused arsenic poisoning as far as I know. That's a pretty small fraction of the continent.

Reply to
clare

Uphill over rocky soil where animals walk - and in full bright sun so the water would arrive hot.

Reply to
clare

I believe Africa has a great deal of natural resources that can benefit the people there but those extracting those resources are operating without any oversight or environmental considerations for their mining or drilling for oil. I wonder if anyone in any of the governments is supervising the companies operations regarding pollution and other damage to the environment? o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Uphill over rocky soil where animals walk - and in full bright sun so the water would arrive hot.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I believe Africa has a great deal of natural resources that can benefit the people there but those extracting those resources are operating without any oversight or environmental considerations for their mining or drilling for oil. I wonder if anyone in any of the governments is supervising the companies operations regarding pollution and other damage to the environment? o_O

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Chris, I have a lot of REAL African friends who would find that insulting. One hard working young man I know is from Nigeria and I asked him why he came to America? His answer was that it was for the opportunities for a better life. He went on to tell me there was no chance to get ahead in his home country like there was in America. He said "We have nothing, so I came to The U.S.". There are a lot of folks from Kenya here in Birmingham working in a number of different jobs. I encounter them working at convenience stores all the time and the owners hire them because they work hard and are very polite to the customers. I complemented one of the sweet gals from Kenya working at one of the stores on how polite she was to customers, teasing her that she wasn't mean like American girls. She said it was how she was raised. She was raised to be polite and respectful to other people. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

[...]

Just an update for those who were interested After spending 2 weeks in Mali My daughter Laura is in Mauritania for the next week She is going to the project in Kankossa tomorrow.

Take a look here:

Then she is off to Tenmiya - see:

and Taghadoum - see:
then on to Kaedi- see:

These ore 4 of the 5 projects she will be visiting on this leg of her tour, among many others she is currently responsible for.

Reply to
clare

So what exactly has she achieved in two weeks? Tour? Just another charity parasite. I'm sure the donors would be pleased to know she is swanning around Africa at their expense. Staying in four/five star hotels too no doubt. Waste of money. These charities are crooks in the same way as the banksters. She needs to go out and get a proper job.

Reply to
harryagain

Well I hope it works out well. After reading the pros and cons in this thread, I don't know how much good it does in some of the communities, but I'm sure it helps in some.

May I make a suggestion? Have your daughter take Harry along so he can observe and report back to us with his unbiased opinion.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No JERK - and now I am being charitable.

She is in charge of making sure the projects are on track - and authorizing the funding of on-going projects - and if you check those locations, there isn't a 4 star hotel within 400km of most of them. She's sleeping under the stars on roof-tops in many of these places - like the workers and the locals.

Did you check the information on the projects I listed? Of course not. Know-it-all bigot .

And you do what for a liviong?? Jerk

Reply to
clare

She'd leave him in the first wadi they come too.

Reply to
clare

I still think your daughter is a real life angel. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

OK, Harry, please start packing.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That is a bad thing how?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I have been visiting these countries for years, I don't need some dopey Yank. Most of the charity money is wasted on administration, bribery and various forms of local corruption. Oh and advertising to get more money in. Another big business, charity funding. And stupid Yanks swanning around at the donors expense. In the past some has even ended up being used to buy weapons. What little money that does end up digging wells is counter productive. Water tables are depleted, imported grazing animals destroy the local habit and desertification results. These places are over populated, a well just enables greater overpopulation so that when the crunch arrives, it is worse than it would have been. Much of the ground water in arid Africa has been there for millenia and is not replaced when removed. I'm sure there are similar places in the USA and some people here will live in them

You f****g Yanks are so thick and ignorant you are unbelievable. You need to get off your arses, get an education and travel before making comment. Oh and education is not watching Fox news.

Charities are like banks these days. They exist primarily for the benefit of those running them, not for the recipients. They are often used for money laundering and tax evasion.

The other big rip off is so called "Fair Trade"

Reply to
harryagain

Another ignorant Yank f***r Women are nobodies in Africa. They do all the menial work and have babies. In general she would be ignored by the locals.

There is no future career for any woman in Africa. Only scrubbing the floor and having babies

Reply to
harryagain

No she's not.She's just swanning around perfoming nothing useful. No African would pay any attention to her so she can't do anything of use.

It's a man's world in Africa. To them, women are less than dog turds. Always been that way, always will. Get your heads out of your stupid American arses. The rest of the world is not like America.

Reply to
harryagain