Christmas tree won't drink water

Page 1 of 3
Hi All: I couldn't find and appropriate newsgroup for this post so I thought I'd try this one. Besides, if I don't solve this problem, I will be needing a home repair.
We cut a fress Christmas tree a couple of weeks ago at a local tree farm; it is a Balsam Fir. Since this tree was huge, by the time I set it up, I ended up cutting about one foot off the bottom and 6 inches from the top. The important thing is that it was a fresh cut just before I put up the tree and filled the tree holder pan with water.
This tree will not drink water. Is it becasue it is a fresh tree and doesn't need it?
Any suggestions on what I should do?
Robert
If you did the fresh cut at the bottom just a few hours before you set it up and now it doesn't drink water, it may be a pretty fresh tree !! I would check it 24 hours later, to see if it has taken some of the water.
I don't know of anything else you can or need to do...............
Good Luck !!
--James--
Try adding a few copper coins to the water ---it helps cut flowers hydrate themselves. so why not a tree? zemedelec
Copper is poison to plants...
Want to kill a tree? Drive a few pennies into it with a hammer.

1/2 sprite solution with 1/2 water to keep it alive longer, if it indeed starts to take up water. Copper pennies???

<< Want to kill a tree? Drive a few pennies into it with a hammer.
>><BR><BR> You must have missed something. We're talking about an already cut tree. Amd why use pennies when you have a chain saw?
zemedelec
The tree should have started drinking immediately, that I'm sure of. Why it isn't, I don't have a clue. Sorry. Pat
On 22 Dec 2004 14:31:13 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patscga) wrote:

You can lead a tree to water, but you can't make it drink.
:-P
Sorry I had to say that, I'm weak willed.
Merry Christmas Everyone!!!!
tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com
Use and IV?
(Patscga) wrote:

I don't like needles, can't you just feed them salty peanuts and popcorn? It works at bars to get the people drinking more.
later and Merry Christmas All!

tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com

Drill a couple of 1/2" holes through the base.

You cut the top and bottom? Try using it like a straw! : )
I like the drill a couple holes in the base...
Is the cut end of the tree sitting against the bottom of the pan? This might be "sealing" out the water. Drilling holes will make sure the water can get into the tree.
Good Point, the bottom is pretty much touching the bottom of the pan which may tend to seal it. I will drill the holes toninte when I go home. Thanks for your help. Happy Holidays. Robert P.S. I will be sure not to slip and drill through the bottom of the pan.

National Christmas Tree Assn. PRESS RELEASE http://www.realchristmastrees.org/care.html

might
get

I have a feeling nowadays they cut the trees in July or something. They are beyond help when you buy them and dry out really fast inside.
When I was a kid our trees lasted a long time in the house and you could actually smell the tree.
oh well, I won't buy a tree anymore. Marina
Well, whatever you do, don't pour any jack daniels in the water. I tried that last year. I thought it was a pretty clever idea, because an hour after I filled the stand, the pan was empty. So I refilled it with plain water - nothing. Added some more JD - nothing. Finally tried some Chivas - pan empty in 1/2 hour.
This cycle continued all the way up to christmas day, when my kids woke up me and my wife, their bright faces full of excitement way before sun up. So we go downstairs.... what do we find? Yep. The christmas tree had taken off it's star, and put a lampshade on it's head. Also, there was christmas tree puke (thick, yellow sap) all over the gifts.
An alchoholic christmas tree can ruin an otherwise perfect day, so - be careful.
Finite Guy wrote:

Just cut the bottom at a slight angle.
On 24 Dec 2004 06:35:18 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I've heard this too, it gives more surface area for contact with the water. Makes sense, right?
later,
tom @ www.URLBee.com
Back in the old days we used to add an aspirin tablet to the water.
Bob

<snip>> This tree will not drink water. Is it becasue it is a fresh tree and

I received the following in a gardening newsletter. jerrybaker.com Hope it helps.
"It'll soon be that time of year again, so I'd like to take a moment to wish you and yours a happy, healthy, and safe holiday season! I'm never one to leave you in a lurch, so to help you out with your holiday chores, here are a few of my favorite holiday tips and tricks.
To help your Christmas tree retain its needles all season long, you need to select a tree that's fresh, and then consider shape, height, and price. When selecting a tree, shake it as hard as you can, then reach into the trunk, and remove all of the needles that have accumulated in the center of the tree. If you do this while you're still at a tree lot, you won't need to vacuum up all of the excess needles when the tree is in your house!
As soon as you bring the tree home, while you still have it outdoors, cut and discard at least one inch off of the bottom of the trunk to remove the dried sap that'll prevent the tree from absorbing moisture. Then fill a large bucket half full of hot water and add 2 cups of clear corn syrup, 2 tbsp. of beach, and 4 One-a-Day Vitamins+Iron. Set the trunk in the bucket, and allow it to soak overnight. Then keep plenty of water in the tree stand at all times.
If you're going to hang up some evergreen roping, soak it in room temperature water for 24 hours before using it. Allow it to dry then spray it with a commercial antidesiccant that can be found at most tree nurseries.
Decorative centerpieces can sure brighten up a room, but before using decorative greens, soak the stems in the corn syrup solution overnight, then spray them with an antidesiccant. When the spray has dried, make fresh, sharp cuts on the ends, and force them into pieces of oasis that have been soaked in the corn syrup solution and wrapped in foil to prevent evaporation.
Follow these simple steps, and your halls will stay decked with fresh, fragrant greens throughout the holiday season. Then when the holidays are over, make sure you dispose of the greens properly. Don't burn them in your fireplace because sparks can travel up the chimney and set fire to the roof, or burn so hot that they'll cause a fire in the flue. Remember, it's better to be safe than sorry!"